CRUCIVERB.COM

User

Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.

Forgot your password?

Navigate

Resources

Donations

You can help support this site by making a small donation using either a PayPal account:

or with a major credit card such as:

Click here for details.

Author Topic: L.A.Times  (Read 31375 times)

rbe

Re: L.A.Times
« Reply #15 on: July 19, 2017, 01:00:09 PM »
There is a link in the column on the right side of the Home page. I recommend the WSJ puzzles listed under Saturday. They are in Across Lite format.

https://www.fleetingimage.com/wij/xyzzy/nyt-links.html

trauer1282

« Reply #16 on: July 20, 2017, 08:32:45 AM »
Regular feed restored, so pulling this post to save space.
« Last Edit: August 08, 2017, 08:00:40 AM by trauer1282 »

phil262

« Reply #17 on: July 20, 2017, 09:54:42 AM »

gtbyrneva

« Reply #18 on: July 20, 2017, 11:18:17 AM »
I don't understand what to do with that posting.

trauer1282

« Reply #19 on: July 20, 2017, 12:21:21 PM »
Cut and paste everything starting with <ACROSS PUZZLE> to a text file.  Then open Across Light, click "open file", and point to the text file you created. You should be able to print the puzzle and save it in puz format.

I don't see a way to post complete files on cruciverb (which would make things easier).

In any event, hopefully the regular posting of the puz files will resume soon!

cbrockman

« Reply #20 on: July 20, 2017, 12:26:55 PM »
Cut and paste everything starting with <ACROSS PUZZLE> to a text file.  Then open Across Light, click "open file", and point to the text file you created. You should be able to print the puzzle and save it in puz format.

I created a .puz file from your earlier posting but when opening it in Across Lite I receive a "corrupt file" error message.

phil262

« Reply #21 on: July 20, 2017, 01:47:58 PM »

I created a .puz file from your earlier posting but when opening it in Across Lite I receive a "corrupt file" error message.
I get the error too, but it still works. When you see the error message popup just click "OK" and then everything works as usual.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2017, 01:57:51 PM by phil262 »

trauer1282

« Reply #22 on: July 20, 2017, 01:51:00 PM »
Yes, Across Lite is pretty picky about the format of the file being imported. It must be plain text and have exactly the right number of clue lines to match the grid. If you try to pull in an RTF or MS Word file for example, you'll get the corrupt file error. Also, make sure you don't have any blank lines at the end of the text file.

I just tried again to make sure the puzzle opens fine, but note that I'm using the Mac version of the program... the Windows or Linux version could be more picky.

trauer1282

« Reply #23 on: July 21, 2017, 08:58:21 AM »
Yesterday's post is updated with today's (Friday) puzzle.

gtbyrneva

« Reply #24 on: July 21, 2017, 10:44:57 AM »
Worked like a charm!  Thanks!! ;)

Ken Gash

« Reply #25 on: July 21, 2017, 01:53:23 PM »
Thank you, it was great to see the faithful Across Lite grid!
Can we expect daily updates to the text file until Cruciverb fixes the LA Times link?

trauer1282

« Reply #26 on: July 21, 2017, 03:53:26 PM »
I'll try, but it will depend on how long the gap lasts before Cruciverb fixes the broken link. I'm doing the reformatting manually, though I've been thinking for some time about automating all or parts of it since there are a lot of pdf puzzles out there aren't available in puz format. Extracting the text reliably from the pdf is the diciest part from an automation perspective. For now, stay tuned!

juniper36

« Reply #27 on: July 21, 2017, 04:22:45 PM »
Has anyone been able to reach Kevin M can by Email?

cbrockman

« Reply #28 on: July 21, 2017, 04:29:04 PM »
Has anyone been able to reach Kevin M can by Email?
Apparently not. There was some discussion on the mailing list but nothing from Kevin as far as I know.

trauer1282

« Reply #29 on: July 22, 2017, 12:00:00 PM »
Original post (on July 20) updated with Saturday, July 22 puzzle.

I think those who want to download the puzzle now know to look back at the original post, so I'll stop adding these additional notifications.

We're closing on two weeks of no regular feed, which sounds like a nice summer vacation for someone!