CRUCIVERB.COM

User

Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.

Forgot your password?

Navigate

Resources

Donations

You can help support this site by making a small donation using either a PayPal account:

or with a major credit card such as:

Click here for details.

Author Topic: Thu., 9/3 C.C. Burnikel  (Read 5778 times)

magus

Thu., 9/3 C.C. Burnikel
« on: September 03, 2015, 08:50:44 AM »
THEME:   words and phrases that are related to HOOD

GOOD ONES:     
Hood site   SHERWOOD FOREST [that's Robin Hood's stomping grounds]   
Standing order? PLEASE RISE[one gets the feeling that in a courtroom it's a polite order]   
Wave maker   PERM [that's hair, not the hirsute Donald Trump]   

BTW:   
"Dude!"   OH MAN [I can see no way these two expressions can be used interchangeably]   

Like Kung Pao chicken  SPICY HOT [the way I see it, the chicken can be spicy but not hot, or it can simply be hot: spicy hot would be redundant --- but I may have seen this in ads or menus]   

RATING:    ;D ;D
Three grins = Loved it; Two grins = Enjoyed it; One grin = A bit bland for my taste; One teardrop = Not much fun   

Thomps2525

Re: Thu., 9/3 C.C. Burnikel
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2015, 09:15:49 PM »
The 16th-century Old English word dudde meant "clothing." The word eventually became "duds" and began to be used in reference to only men's clothing. In the 1870s, the word "dude" became a synonym for "man," especially a man from the east who lived in a western town and dressed in "city clothes." And then came dude ranches.....

I have no idea how "Dude!" began to be used as an interjection expressing surprise or disbelief. I also can't explain why people exclaim "Oh, man!" but never say "Oh, woman!"

magus

« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2015, 09:14:12 AM »
I have no idea how "Dude!" began to be used as an interjection expressing surprise or disbelief.

Have you seen it used so?

Thomps2525

« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2015, 03:39:52 PM »
I live across the street from a middle school and I hear the kids on the ball fields so I can affirm that "Dude!" is a common exclamation. The word is not among the 100 interjections listed on the Daily Writing Tips website but an updated list would almost certainly include "Dude!"

http://www.dailywritingtips.com/100-mostly-small-but-expressive-interjections/

I wonder if I could get those kids to start saying "hubba hubba" and "sis boom bah"? I could tell them that those expressions are now retro and hip. :)

magus

« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2015, 09:47:09 AM »
So the constructor or editor heard it used in a schoolyard, and despite the term's not being listed in your citation, included in the puzzle.  Why is this putting a strain on my credulity?

Thomps2525

« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2015, 03:12:40 PM »
Mister magus, there is no strain on your credulity. I merely stated on September 3 that I did not know how the word "Dude" became an expression of surprise. It was not until September 5 that I looked at several language websites to see if I could find any information about the expression. I couldn't. I said "Dude" would probably be included on an updated list of common expressions. No credulity was strained.

I also wonder why the names of God and Jesus are often used as expressions of anger or frustration but the names of Allah and Buddha are not.

And why, when we taste good food, do we say "Mmm" and never "Eee" or "Rrr" or "Vvv"? And why, when we get hurt or injured, do we always exclaim  "Ouch" or "Ow" and not any other word or syllable?