CRUCIVERB.COM

User

Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.

Forgot your password?

Navigate

Resources

Donations

You can help support this site by making a small donation using either a PayPal account:

or with a major credit card such as:

Click here for details.

Author Topic: Sun., 9/6 Melanie Miller  (Read 4542 times)

magus

Sun., 9/6 Melanie Miller
« on: September 06, 2015, 09:42:30 AM »
THEME:   intrusive A changes meanings of phrases

GOOD ONES:     
Distaste for jury duty?  TRIAL AVERSION   
Prize for the fastest delivery?   MATERNITY AWARD   
Super Bowl prize?  SEAT [not being a fan, this was a toughie]   
Barking up the wrong tree, e.g.  IDIOM [quotation marks would have made it easier, but less fun]   
Paid leader?   PRE [I thought PRO]   
Refuge for a frequent flier?   COTE [brids, not airline passengers]   
They're folded in kitchens   OMELETS   
Oxford mark   SCUFF [shoes, not college grades]   
Cost of bread?   ATM FEE [so 20th Century]   

RATING:    ;D ;D ;D
Three grins = Loved it; Two grins = Enjoyed it; One grin = A bit bland for my taste; One teardrop = Not much fun   

Thomps2525

Re: Sun., 9/6 Melanie Miller
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2015, 01:46:49 PM »
If today's Los Angeles Times crossword were to be advertised on television, the pitchman might declare, "Not Merl Reagle---but an amazing facsimile!" Melanie Miller, whether intentionally or unintentionally, created a puzzle in the style of Merl Reagle, who died August 22. The title: "Again!" The theme answers are phrases which "gain" an "A." Get it? In addition to the ones cited by Mister magus, there are these:

Erase? RUBTHEWRONGAWAY
Comedy club road sign? CHUCKLEAHEAD
Drag one's feet on the gangplank? SHUFFLEABOARD
Doctors' agreement? MEDICINEAMEN
Digression to a cabbie? PASSENGERASIDE

"Paid leader" was PRE. Mister magus initially though PRO. My first thought was PEE, the spelling of the first letter of "Paid."

Merl Reagle's final Sunday crossword was published on August 30. The Times noted that the Sunday puzzles would henceforth be by David Poole, who has been making puzzles since 2008. Instead, today's is by Melanie Miller, whose first Sunday crossword appeared in the New York Times just four weeks ago. No offense to David or Melanie...but I think we will always miss Merl.