CRUCIVERB.COM

User

Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.

Forgot your password?

Navigate

Resources

Donations

You can help support this site by making a small donation using either a PayPal account:

or with a major credit card such as:

Click here for details.

Author Topic: Using copyrighted material in puzzles  (Read 10613 times)

ChadSRyan

Using copyrighted material in puzzles
« on: February 07, 2023, 12:25:17 PM »
Hello all. I'm brand new to this forum. I couldn't find a search bar, so forgive me if this topic has already been addressed.

I am considering making a book of crossword puzzles with themes all tied to a particular tv show. Ideally, I would like to make heavy use of quotes (for clues), catchphrases, character names, etc.

Does this constitute copyright infringement, or does it fall under some sort of fair use? Any guidance would be helpful here. Thank you!

mmcbs

Re: Using copyrighted material in puzzles
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2023, 02:02:57 PM »
I'm not a lawyer, so not qualified to give legal advice. I would just note that the names of TV shows, characters, and catchphrases from those show appear frequently in crosswords. I cannot imagine a TV producer/owner objecting to having their material used in this manner, as it in no way affects their ability to profit from their material but might in fact serve as a "plug" for the TV show.
Mark McClain
Salem, Virginia, USA
https://crosswordsbymark.wordpress.com/

ChadSRyan

« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2023, 02:05:54 PM »
I would just note that the names of TV shows, characters, and catchphrases from those show appear frequently in crosswords.

That's what I thought. I just don't know if extensive use (to the point that quotes from the show make up a good chunk of the substance of the clues/answers) crosses over into some kind of infringement, where you're making money off of someone else's material. Though I wonder if the adaptation of the material into an altogether different medium like a crossword puzzle is a sensibly fair use of material.

mmcbs

« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2023, 02:40:41 PM »
Well, you do make a good point that if you are making money using someone else's material, there would be a concern. Wikipedia has a good article on the fair use doctrine, so I'd suggest you refer to that to see if it gives you comfort or concern.

I once used a rather lengthy quotation from a well-known sports commentator in a crossword. As a courtesy, I wrote to him and asked permission, but quite some time passed with no reply so I went ahead with it. Several months later he replied to me and said he had no problem with my using his quip.
Mark McClain
Salem, Virginia, USA
https://crosswordsbymark.wordpress.com/

KathrinReinhard

« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2023, 12:44:53 PM »
Well, you do make a good point that if you are making money using someone else's material, there would be a concern. Wikipedia has a good article on the fair use doctrine, so I'd suggest you refer to that to see if it gives you comfort or concern.

I once used a rather lengthy quotation from a well-known sports commentator in a crossword. As a courtesy, I wrote to him and how to get rid of man moobs asked permission, but quite some time passed with no reply so I went ahead with it. Several months later he replied to me and said he had no problem with my using his quip.

Agreed with your opinion. We must take a permission before using others material and this is a right way.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2023, 11:42:43 AM by KathrinReinhard »

asternknit

« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2023, 03:26:42 AM »
I once used a rather lengthy quotation from a well-known sports commentator in a crossword. As a courtesy, I wrote to him and asked permission, but quite some time passed with no reply so I went ahead with it. Several months later he replied to me and said he had no problem with my using his quip.
I share your view. We must acquire a permission before using others material and this is a right manner.

jopela

« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2023, 09:31:47 PM »
I share your perspective and agree with it. Before utilizing the work of other people, we are required to get permission, which is the correct procedure.