CRUCIVERB.COM

User

Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.

Forgot your password?

Navigate

Resources

Donations

You can help support this site by making a small donation using either a PayPal account:

or with a major credit card such as:

Click here for details.

Author Topic: Guidance on where to submit  (Read 5018 times)

cmcetta

Guidance on where to submit
« on: March 08, 2020, 08:00:05 AM »
I am a new constructor and have completed two themed 15x15 puzzles - and working on several more. The publisher specs all seem pretty much the same (except maybe for Chronicle of Higher Ed). I'm looking for guidance on deciding where to submit puzzles. I would appreciate any suggestions from experienced or new constructors.

mmcbs

Re: Guidance on where to submit
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2020, 08:11:18 AM »
I sent you a PM.
Mark McClain
Salem, Virginia, USA
https://crosswordsbymark.wordpress.com/

VB

« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2020, 11:57:44 AM »
I like the LA Times. They have a reasonable response time and are a good place for themed puzzles. David Steinberg is also great, and I think that he is accepting 15x15 themed puzzles.  They also both give good feedback and both accept electronic submission. The NYT is the premier outlet, no doubt - in terms of pay and cache - but I would not feel bad sending something to the LAT or to David. Note that while it is unacceptable to submit something to two different places simultaneously, there is nothing wrong with taking a rejected puzzle and sending it somewhere else - sometimes that's even encouraged.

Good luck,
- VB

Rex McCright

« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2020, 03:04:14 AM »
I am a new constructor and have completed two themed 15x15 puzzles - and working on several more. The publisher specs all seem pretty much the same (except maybe for Chronicle of Higher Ed). I'm looking for guidance on deciding where to submit puzzles. I would appreciate any suggestions from experienced or new constructors.

I am new as well. I submitted two to the NYT a few weeks ago. I figure that since they are the pinnacle, I will start with them and if they reject my submissions without comment, I will resubmit to others. They won't accept a puzzle that has been previously published, or publicly shared, so why not start there and work down?

cmcetta

« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2020, 10:50:56 AM »
Thank you for responding. I have had the same thought about the NYT but also like the puzzles from the other two outlets. Fortunately, I am not in this for the financial rewards. I would just like to share some puzzles through publication.

Rex McCright

« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2020, 03:07:00 AM »
Agreed. I don't care about the money either. But, if I submit to them and they reject, I can resubmit to someone else. I'm working on my first 21 x 21 as a Sunday, and I'm pretty sure it sucks relative to the NYT. But I am using their rules as my guideline, so if I send it and they reject it, I think I can send it to a syndicate that will pick it up. My local paper carries the NYT crossword and a syndicate crossword on Sunday. My goal is to show up in one of those. I don't need money or notoriety. I just want to see the puzzle in an actual paper.