CRUCIVERB.COM

User

Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.

Forgot your password?

Navigate

Resources

Donations

You can help support this site by making a small donation using either a PayPal account:

or with a major credit card such as:

Click here for details.

Author Topic: LA Times specs  (Read 10762 times)

wmc

LA Times specs
« on: October 30, 2019, 01:37:17 PM »
The only place I can find the specs for LA Times submissions is on the Cruiciverb website.  It seems odd to me that I can't find them on the LA Times and/or Tribune Media Services websites.  My question is this:  Are the specs on the Cruciverb website (which are dated October 2011) in fact the only place where they are available, and, if so, are they up-to-date?

Thanks.   

mmcbs

Re: LA Times specs
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2019, 03:04:07 PM »
I'm not aware of an updated spec sheet for LA Times - I think the one on Cruciverb is pretty much right on. One thing that I'm aware of from experience is that if you're doing a theme that requires (or uses) a reveal entry, Rich dislikes a single word reveal and prefers a full length reveal that's part of the symmetrical theme. Also, be advised that the limit of 10% abbreviations really applies to all non-words (abbreviations, acronyms, prefix, suffix, etc. - anything that's not an actual word). Also, the response time can be longer than what's stated.
Mark McClain
Salem, Virginia, USA
https://crosswordsbymark.wordpress.com/

wmc

« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2019, 04:19:18 PM »
Thanks for the info, Mark.

damefox

« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2020, 03:21:33 PM »
Revising this thread with a related question: has anyone submitted a puzzle to the LA Times lately and received a decision on it? I emailed a puzzle to the address indicated in the Cruciverb specs (xwordrich@aol.com) on Oct. 2, and I have yet to receive a reply. The specs say response time is 3-8 weeks, and at this point we're past 14 weeks since submission, so I'm just wondering if I did something wrong. I sent a follow-up email last week and haven't gotten a response to that either.

mmcbs

« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2020, 04:05:52 PM »
They are running slow. I have one outstanding since late September.
Mark McClain
Salem, Virginia, USA

Fishbaum

« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2020, 08:50:34 AM »
NYTimes is running at least 3 months for a response time, FWIW.

DarlaFanbridge

« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2020, 12:20:42 PM »
I do have one question regarding specs for the LA Times:

If I were to use first names or surnames or full names of famous people or characters, what is the limit on such answers?  Like, how many of such answers is the limit?

Also, what are the limits on geographic locations?

What are the limits on answers with "fill in the blank" clues?

I am considering creating crossword puzzles and submitting them to the LA Times someday, and I'd like to know the limits on first names/surnames of famous people, geographic locations (cities, states/provinces, countries, bodies of water, continents, etc.), and answers with fill-in-the-blank clues involved?

And I am aware of the 10% limit for abbreviations, acronyms and any non-words.
- Jonathan

DarlaFanbridge

« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2020, 12:42:40 PM »
NYTimes is running at least 3 months for a response time, FWIW.
It seems as if there are a lot of people interested in submitting crossword entries, or people wanting to submit the maximum entries each day. They may be unemployed, and are likely trying to earn revenue.
- Jonathan

mmcbs

« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2020, 12:46:47 PM »
Further to the issue of limits of type of entries - the only thing I would caution you about is having collectively too much trivia in the puzzle, especially if it is not well known. But otherwise, pretty much anything goes. Well-known proper names are welcome in almost every crossword venue.

Oh, and some of those people who submit a lot of puzzles are employed (as crossword puzzle constructors).
Mark McClain
Salem, Virginia, USA

cranberry44

« Reply #9 on: February 23, 2020, 03:34:56 PM »
Slow response time may also be due to some people using the automatic AutoFill in Crossword Compiler and just sending it off as is.
If so, I could see how they all could be backed up.

Re: 10% nonwords for LA Times: What about something like "asto" ("as to")? Since the answer is two words instead of one,
and looks like "asto," does it fit in the nonword category?

mmcbs

« Reply #10 on: February 23, 2020, 05:14:44 PM »
No, AS TO is a standalone phrase, usually clued "Regarding" or "Concerning"
Mark McClain
Salem, Virginia, USA

cranberry44

« Reply #11 on: February 24, 2020, 09:35:44 AM »
Thanks, Mark. One more question: Does the 10% include contractions, such as "he's" (as in the song "___ a Rebel")?

mmcbs

« Reply #12 on: February 24, 2020, 09:49:49 AM »
No
Mark McClain
Salem, Virginia, USA

cranberry44

« Reply #13 on: February 24, 2020, 11:54:45 AM »
Once again, thanks, Mark!

TimDAlfonso

Re: LA Times specs - need SSN?
« Reply #14 on: April 18, 2020, 12:02:38 PM »
Is SSN social security number? Or something else? I noticed the LA Times asks for this on the submission:

Specs from Cruciverb:
If you use CCW, under File/Crossword Information, please put your name in the Author field and your address and SSN in the Description field. If this is a Sunday puzzle, be sure the title appears in the Title field. Under Clue Properties, please check the "right-aligned" box, but leave the "with period" box unchecked