CRUCIVERB.COM

User

Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.

Forgot your password?

Navigate

Resources

Donations

You can help support this site by making a small donation using either a PayPal account:

or with a major credit card such as:

Click here for details.

Author Topic: Crossword Compiler weirdness  (Read 5245 times)

Fishbaum

Crossword Compiler weirdness
« on: April 15, 2020, 05:59:21 PM »
I just updated my Crossword Compiler with the 3/3/20 update, and now I'm getting these black bars between squares, appearing, it seems, when I delete something. Feature or bug? The black bars behave like walls, preventing the word search from advancing to any further length, or making it go in a different direction. Strange. Anyone else seen this?

mmcbs

Re: Crossword Compiler weirdness
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2020, 07:17:19 PM »
If you can't figure this via the help module, you can email for assistance. Another option that might get a quicker response is the Facebook group Cruciverb. Many knowledgeable user there.
Mark McClain
Salem, Virginia, USA
https://crosswordsbymark.wordpress.com/

mmcbs

« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2020, 06:21:06 AM »
Just in case you didn't already figure it out, it's called a BAR - It separates words without putting a blank square. Not sure who would use that. It's created when you double-click on a line, and deleted likewise.
Mark McClain
Salem, Virginia, USA
https://crosswordsbymark.wordpress.com/

Fishbaum

« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2020, 09:29:32 AM »
Ah, thank you! I had discovered the bar option in the Advanced tab of Grid properties, and had turned it off, thinking those bars would disappear. Not so. You have to have the bar option turned on in order to delete any, by double-clicking the line. The bar option seems to be turned on by default, so that a slightly mis-aimed double-click on a square (what I did, several times) will instead add a bar. I think this "feature" must have crept in with the latest build. Be forewarned.

cranberry44

« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2020, 09:53:37 AM »
Yes, to Fishbaum. I found that the "misaiming" that you mention is clicking too close to or on the black line between squares instead of clicking in the middle of the square.

axlrosen

« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2020, 09:55:09 AM »
Just in case you didn't already figure it out, it's called a BAR - It separates words without putting a blank square. Not sure who would use that.

I wanted to create a puzzle where there was a "mirror" inside each themer, creating two palindromes, one on each side... with the mirror represented by a bar, exactly as you describe it.

For example:
  • DE|POSITION = Title | Answer to "That party's in power?"
  • PARTI|ES = Another name for "sophomore slump"? | Views

I submitted it to Peter Gordon, and the feedback was that the answers are too forced, which I certainly cannot disagree with.