CRUCIVERB.COM

User

Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.

Forgot your password?

Navigate

Resources

Donations

You can help support this site by making a small donation using either a PayPal account:

or with a major credit card such as:

Click here for details.

Author Topic: Ahoy, it's the December 15 crossword!  (Read 6966 times)

Thomps2525

Ahoy, it's the December 15 crossword!
« on: December 15, 2016, 05:29:22 PM »
The theme of today's crossword by Bruce Haight is "Oh Captain! My Captain!"

Again: ONEMORETIME
D-Day code name: OMAHABEACH
Cleaner with a blade: SQUEEGEEMOP
1957 #1 song title that appears in the line after "I'm in love": ALLSHOOKUP

"Indication of cooperation with ones hidden in this puzzle's four other longest answers" is AYEAYECAPTAIN. Each theme answer includes the name of a famous fictional captain: Nemo -- the name is Latin for "Nobody" -- from Jules Verne's Twenty Thousand Leagues Under The Sea, Ahab from Herman Melville's Moby-Dick, Queeg from Herman Wouk's The Caine Mutiny, and Hook from J.M. Barrie's Peter Pan, Each of those books has been adapted into movies. But one of the clues is inaccurate: In the Elvis Presley hit, after the words "I'm in love," he sings "I'm all shook up." Grammarians are quick to point out that ever since that song hit the charts and spent nine consecutive weeks at number one, almost everyone uses the expression "All shook up" instead of the grammatically correct "All shaken up." The correct phrase doesn't even sound right anymore.

"Citrus greenhouse" is ORANGERY. From the 17th to the 19th centuries, many mansions in Europe and Great Britain included an orangery, a greenhouse-type enclosure which protected orange trees and other fruit trees from cold winter weather. One of the most famous orangeries, in Kensington, is now home to an elegant café:

http://www.orangerykensingtonpalace.co.uk

The puzzle's title comes from O Captain! My Captain!, a poem written in 1865 by Walt Whitman as an elegy for President Abraham Lincoln, who had been shot in the head by John Wilkes Booth during the performance of a play at Ford's Theater in Washington DC on April 14, 1865. Lincoln died nine hours later:

https://www.poetryfoundation.org/poems-and-poets/poems/detail/45474

That concludes today's discussion. Time for me to shape up and ship out.