CRUCIVERB.COM

User

Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.

Forgot your password?

Navigate

Resources

Donations

You can help support this site by making a small donation using either a PayPal account:

or with a major credit card such as:

Click here for details.

Author Topic: Thu., 12/3 Gagliardo & Burnikel  (Read 6326 times)

magus

Thu., 12/3 Gagliardo & Burnikel
« on: December 03, 2015, 09:07:35 AM »
THEME:   series of circled letters in the grid can be modifie by JUMPING

GOOD ONES:     
Word that can preceed {theme}  JUMPING [BEAN, FROG, JACK (circled letters read left to right)]   
Way out  EXIT [not "extraordinary"]   
Awe-ful expression?   GEE [clue is the source of "awful" which has been pejorated]   

BTW:   
Cool one   CAT [cool cats died in the 1960's when hippies and hipsters replaced them]   

Easily maneuverable at sea   YARE [I studied Chapman Piloting & Seamanship but don't remember that word --- and Chapman's is the bible of seamen --- I remember it in a crossword puzzle, though]   

Dance music provider   LIVE DJ [they're so much better than the dead ones]

Took me a full minute to figure out the theme after completing the puzzle.  Maybe I'm getting too slow --- or the theme clue wasn't clear enough --- or my coffee didn't sufficiently wake me.   

RATING:    ;D
Three grins = Loved it; Two grins = Enjoyed it; One grin = A bit bland for my taste; One teardrop = Not much fun   

Filer

Re: Thu., 12/3 Gagliardo & Burnikel
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2015, 12:22:59 PM »
YARE! Twenty-three years as a Naval Officer; one-third of the time at sea and never heard the word.

Thomps2525

« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2015, 04:16:57 PM »
Allow me to be the first to wish you all a Happy New Yare. (Sorry, I just can't resist making bad puns.)

Merriam-Webster defines "yare" as "1.quick; agile; lively. 2. (of a ship) quick to the helm; easily handled or maneuvered. 3. Archaic ready; prepared."

Dictionary.com gives this origin of the word: "Before 900; Middle English; Old English gearu, gearo, equivalent to earu 'ready'; cognate with Dutch gaar, German gar 'done.'"

It isn't often that I learn a new word from a crossword puzzle. I'm well acquainted with EMU, ERA, IRE, LEI, OBOE, ORE, OREO, SPA and other overused words and thus it was nice to see YARE today. The next time I'm on a boat, I'll have to find a way to use the word and impress my fellow passengers.

Or maybe I could use my "Happy New Yare" pun.

magus

« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2015, 10:17:42 AM »
Your fellow passengers won't know what you're talking about and will likely think you are trying too hard to impress them with your nautical acumen.  So Yare!  [wasn't that a Jimmy Dorsey song?]