CRUCIVERB.COM

User

Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.

Forgot your password?

Navigate

Resources

Donations

You can help support this site by making a small donation using either a PayPal account:

or with a major credit card such as:

Click here for details.

Author Topic: December 1 crosswords: The buzz on Woody  (Read 5485 times)

Thomps2525

December 1 crosswords: The buzz on Woody
« on: December 01, 2015, 01:53:13 PM »
My subject line, "The buzz on Woody," is for all you Toy Story fans. Now that my daily bad pun is out of the way, I can talk about today's crossword by Jeffrey Wechsler, which commemorates the birth of filmmaker Woody Allen, who was born Allan Stewart Konigsberg on December 1, 1935 in the Bronx and legally changed his name to Heywood Allen when he was 17. Woody is a nickname for Heywood. Today's puzzle, which begins with WOODY and ends with ALLEN, includes the titles of five films which he wrote and directed: BANANAS, SLEEPER, STARDUSTMEMORIES, MIDNIGHTINPARIS and MIGHTYAPHRODITE.

For the "Mister Magus Not-Used-In-English File": ORO, OSA and SEI ("Sardinian six").

Five clues in today's Daily News crossword by Kurt Mueller are "Vampire's bane" numbers 1 through 5. Four of the answers are THEHOLYBIBLE, DIRECTSUNLIGHT, SILVERBULLET, and GARLICNECKLACE. The fifth answer is literal and occupies the center of the grid: HEART is horizontal and is crossed vertically by STAKE. Get it? "Stake through the heart." Very clever!

The "colorful" Universal crossword includes REDWHITEANDBLUE, YELLOWSTONEPARK and BLACKEYEDSUSANS.

The NEA crossword clued EONS with "Zillions of years." Merriam-Webster defines "zillion" as "an indefinitely large number." The word was first used in 1934 and is patterned after "million" and "billion." In 1947, Disney comic-book artist Carl Barks created the character of Scrooge McDuck, Donald Duck's wealthy uncle. In the book The Life & Times Of Scrooge McDuck, Scrooge's wealth is said to be "Five multiplujillion, nine impossibidillion, seven fantasticatrillion dollars and 16 cents." I'm guessing that's considerably more than a zillion.

magus

Re: December 1 crosswords: The buzz on Woody
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2015, 09:41:14 AM »
I'm sorry I no longer do the Monday and Tuesday puzzles as I would have like to have filled out one on Woody Allen, one of the best director/writers of film.  I see that cited was Midnight in Paris perhaps my favorite Woody Allen movie among many fine ones.  I guess he was about 70 when he wrote and directed it, and it has a unique theme: the past is great largely because it is the past, and no matter what our time is we seem unable appreciate it.  To enoy the film, however, the viewer must have a penchant for art, literature, and music.

Thomps2525

Re: December 1 crosswords: The buzz on Woody
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2015, 02:34:38 PM »
I have collected Disney comic books since I was four years old. They count as art and literature. :)

Woody Allen was 75 when he directed Midnight In Paris. The film premiered at the Cannes Film Festival on May 11, 2011, and was released nine days later in the US. I liked this line spoken by Owen Wilson's character, Gil: "You're a surrealist! I'm a normal guy!"