CRUCIVERB.COM

User

Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.

Forgot your password?

Navigate

Resources

Donations

You can help support this site by making a small donation using either a PayPal account:

or with a major credit card such as:

Click here for details.

Author Topic: Wed., 7/1 Frank Virzi  (Read 4411 times)

magus

Wed., 7/1 Frank Virzi
« on: July 01, 2015, 08:28:47 AM »
THEME:   last word of phase is a kind of baseball pitch

GOOD ONES:    
Combined with… {theme}   BASE and BALL   
Lamb or Bacon, e.g.: Abbr.   AUTH   

BTW:   
Back in the day   ONCE [exactly, so perhaps that is one reason this expression irks me]   

Partner of out   OVER [as in "over and out," except that is a movie-only expression --- in the real world, the sign-off is simply "Out"]   

She, in San Remo   ESSA [wrong, in L.A.]   

"Bei Mir Bist Du Schoen"  was a hit in the '30's, but it's still fun. 
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=swPn8E644sA

RATING: ;D   
Three grins = Loved it; Two grins = Enjoyed it; One grin = A bit bland for my taste; One teardrop = Not much fun   

Thomps2525

Re: Wed., 7/1 Frank Virzi
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2015, 07:26:38 PM »
Thank you, Mister magus. I, too, deplore the use of the phrase "Over and out" in movies and tv shows. In radio communications, "over" means "I'm done speaking. Please reply." "Out" means "I'm done speaking and I'm ending this conversation." The Me-TV channel has been re-running the 1965-70 series I Dream Of Jeannie. Larry Hagman played Major Tony Nelson, an astronaut. In several episodes, he ended his radio call by saying "Over and out." It drives me crazy now as much as it did in the '60s!

Today's NEA crossword has 44 black squares. Forty-four! And the grid is only 13x13. Many more black squares and the grid would resemble a checkerboard!

Thomps2525

Re: Wed., 7/1 Frank Virzi
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2015, 07:38:21 PM »
Bei Mir Bist Du Schoen, also known as Bei Mir Bist Du Schön, was originally titled Bei Mir Bistu Shein. It was written by Hungarian-born vaudeville producer-director-composer Yakov Yakubovitsh, who used the stage name Jacob Jacobs. The song first appeared in a 1932 musical comedy, I Would If I Could. The musical was not a success but the song was. The title means "To me you are beautiful."

My favorite Andrews Sisters song is Six Jerks In A Jeep from the movie Private Buckaroo. I think the main reason I like it is the title. The movie also stars Dick Foran, Shemp Howard, Donald O'Connor, Joe E. Lewis, Mary Wickes, Helen Forrest, Huntz Hall and the Harry James Music Makers. It's a fun movie. Six Jerks In A Jeep is one of twelve songs performed in the film. Here 'tis:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8w7J-rhM_wY