CRUCIVERB.COM

User

Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.

Forgot your password?

Navigate

Resources

Donations

You can help support this site by making a small donation using either a PayPal account:

or with a major credit card such as:

Click here for details.

Author Topic: Sun., 5/17 Mike Peluso  (Read 4655 times)

magus

Sun., 5/17 Mike Peluso
« on: May 17, 2015, 10:08:03 AM »
THEME:   Periodic table abbrs. are substituted for the names of elements in phrases

GOOD ONES:    
Pirate once portrayed by Orson Welles  LONG JOHN AG [AG = silver; my favorite portrayer was Robert Newton]   
Dickens classic   DAVID CUFIELD [CU = copper, I guess; I forgot much of my chemistry]   
"High Voltage" band   AC/DC [indeed]   
It's sometimes held in a deli   MAYO ["Hold the mayo!"]   
Inside information   X-RAY   
Sites for sweaters?   SAUNAS [DRAWERS didn't fit]   
Target of a military press   DELT [don't know when delt became it's own word and not an abbr., and I'm not sure why the press is military, but a press in weightlifting can develop one's deltoids]   
State of disbelief?   ATHEISM   
Making an impression   DENTING [probably a bad one]   
Rapper's demand   LET ME IN [I thought more "Raven" than vocalist]   
Carrier units   AC'S [I thought ships]   

BTW:   
Him, in Le Havre   LUI [but not in Leeds]   

Alike, to Pascal   EGAL [this French word is grist for our mil as it is part of their motto which is often used in English; however, it means equal which is different from alike]   

1987 "Crying"…   LANG [she's k.d.lang and has one of the best alto voices on record, and while the duet with Roy is great, her solo version is so powerful it brings tears to my eyes]   

CURDY? If you insist.   

Hardly paparazzi quarry   D-LIST[there is no D-list among the famous.  To be on any list would be quarry.  Clue should be like "Third grade naughty kids"]   

Thunder predecessors   SONICS [I suspect this definition refers to physical waves produced by lightning which creates the thunder, but my physics isn't much better than my chemistry]   

Today's title "Elements of Style" is also the title of a classic in the writing of English --- more my speed than elements in chemistry. But the puzzle could not have been more fun.

RATING: ;D ;D ;D   
Three grins = Loved it; Two grins = Enjoyed it; One grin = A bit bland for my taste; One teardrop = Not much fun   
« Last Edit: May 17, 2015, 10:09:44 AM by magus »

Thomps2525

Re: Sun., 5/17 Mike Peluso
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2015, 02:12:55 PM »
Merl Reagle's Sunday crossword is one of the mostest cleverestest puzzles I have ever seen. The theme is "Incognito." First, let's get the horrible clue and horrible answer out of the way. Roman numerals often appear in crosswords, even though we are in the 21st century, not the 9th century. The most common Roman numerals in crosswords are III, VII and XVI. Today's included DCLVI. Horrible! The clue was "Beast's nvmber, mvnus 10." Horrible!

Seven pairs of answers, each pair occupying a horizontal row,  were marked with an asterisk:

LABORSONGS/VOWELLESS
REDREDROBIN/BISCOTTI
LEVITATE/UNCHAPERONED
DERNIERCRI/OUTOFORDER
PAYINGRETAIL/CIGARBOX
URETHANE/BIFOCALLENS
INDIANANS/CROSSWORDS

The unusual term LABORSONGS is "Unionizer's repertoire." Those 14 words fit the theme of "Incognito." Before you read any further, see if you can figure it out. I'll wait.

Hum-de-dum-de-doo-de-doo.....

Okay, you did a fine job! Each pair of words houses the name of a well-known person: Orson Welles, Dred Scott, Evita Peron, Ernie Ford, Greta Garbo, Ethan Allen and Diana Ross. I am now going to create a pair of words which houses the name of someone who regularly posts to this site. Look carefully; this may be difficult to figure out:

Clue: 1968 hit by the Who.
Answer: MAGICBUS

8)