CRUCIVERB.COM

User

Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.

Forgot your password?

Navigate

Resources

Donations

You can help support this site by making a small donation using either a PayPal account:

or with a major credit card such as:

Click here for details.

Author Topic: Mon., 4/13 Ray Hedrick & C.C. Burnikel  (Read 4563 times)

Thomps2525

Mon., 4/13 Ray Hedrick & C.C. Burnikel
« on: April 13, 2015, 04:35:54 PM »
Product names used to be taboo in crossword puzzles. Used to be. In today's Los Angeles Times crossword, the theme is PAPERTOWELS. The fisrt word of each theme answer is a brand of paper towels: SCOTTJOPLIN, BOUNTYHUNTER and VIVALASVEGAS.

The theme of today's Daily News crossword is BOARDGAMES. The first word of each theme answer is the name of a board game: RISKTAKER, CLUEMEIN, LIFERAFT, TROUBLEAHEAD and SORRYCHARLIE. The puzzle also includes ATARI, ATRA, SBARRO and TESLA.

So...a lot of free advertising for paper towels and board games.

The NEA crossword includes ASEA, a word which I don't recall seeing anywhere except in crosswords. The Universal crossword includes RIGHTOFWAY, RIGHTANSWER, LEFTBRAINED and LEFTFIELDER. The Times puzzle includes PSST, clued with "Hissed 'Hey!'" I maintain that a hissed "Hey!" would be "Hey!", although there is no way to hiss a word which does contain the letter S. The clue should be "Hissed equivalent of 'Hey!'" Hey, am I right?

magus

Re: Mon., 4/13 Ray Hedrick & C.C. Burnikel
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2015, 09:38:49 AM »
Hey, you are wrong.
"Hissed 'Hey!" means "the equivalent of saying 'Hey' via hissing."  The clue need not have the word equivalent since it's syntax suggests same.