CRUCIVERB.COM

User

Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.

Forgot your password?

Navigate

Resources

Donations

You can help support this site by making a small donation using either a PayPal account:

or with a major credit card such as:

Click here for details.

Author Topic: Tue., 1/20 Michael Dewey  (Read 4022 times)

magus

Tue., 1/20 Michael Dewey
« on: January 20, 2015, 08:50:52 AM »
THEME:   phrases beginning with the names of football running backs

GOOD ONES:    
BACK IN THE GAME   

RATING: :'(   
Three grins = Loved it; Two grins = Enjoyed it; One grin = A bit bland for my taste; One teardrop = Not much fun   

richochez

Re: Tue., 1/20 Michael Dewey
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2015, 12:30:29 PM »
Well, it is really a theme for football positions that end in the 4 letters "back". A corner-back is a defensive position, not a running back and a quarterback is generally not expected to run but rather hand off or pass. Of course, now-a-days, there are some Qbacks that run quite a bit!

Thomps2525

« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2015, 01:46:08 PM »
What is the old spelling rule? "O before E except after T"? Something like that. One clue in today's crossword is "Oklahoma tribe." The answer is OTO. I have seen OTOE in many puzzles but, until today, never OTO. The Wikipedia entry says "Otoe or Oto" but I have never seen the "Oto" spelling anywhere else. The Otoe tribe's website---yeah, they have a website---spells the name "Otoe." In Nebraska there is an Otoe County, established in 1855 and named after the tribe. The county name was variously spelled as Otoe, Oto and Ottoe before "Otoe" was finally agreed upon. Michael Dewey had to spell the word "Oto" to make it fit the grid...but I insist that he's wrong.

http://www.omtribe.org/?culture-history

http://www.co.otoe.ne.us/pdfs/about/otoe1-9.pdf

magus

« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2015, 09:05:39 AM »
Richochez---

Thanks for the heads-up.  I'm afraid my football is not up to snuff, though I do know that Wilson and Newton run a lot.  I live in NC where it is unpatriotic not to know about Cam.