CRUCIVERB.COM

User

Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.

Forgot your password?

Navigate

Resources

Donations

You can help support this site by making a small donation using either a PayPal account:

or with a major credit card such as:

Click here for details.

Author Topic: Mon., 12/28 Jerry Edelstein  (Read 3592 times)

magus

Mon., 12/28 Jerry Edelstein
« on: December 29, 2014, 08:59:35 AM »
THEME:   first word of phrase can modify WORLD

GOOD ONES:    
The third "Pirates…" and {theme}   AT WORLD'S END [the next word after WORLD or literally at the "end" of WORLD]   

BTW:   
Craft with an outboard   POWER BOAT [yes, but more precisely it's a motor boat, and I was forced to rewrite my inky answer which reduces my percentage of perfectly filled-in puzzles!]  >:(   

RATING:    ;D
Three grins = Loved it; Two grins = Enjoyed it; One grin = A bit bland for my taste; One teardrop = Not much fun   

Thomps2525

Re: Mon., 12/28 Jerry Edelstein
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2014, 08:54:14 PM »
For "Show & Tell" today I brought in this USA TODAY crossword puzzle by Kay Puttnam. I was not impressed. There wasn't really a theme but the four long answers were BABYBOOMER, FLOORBROKER, LOSSLEADER and SHAREHOLDER. The puzzle included the overused words ABET, AREA, EDIT, EKE, EMU, ETNA and IRA and the foreign words ETAT and ETRE. It also included five fragments of phrases: HITA ("'____ homer!' - kid's shout from the stands), INST ("'Meet Me ____ Louis'"), ISME ("Words after 'woe'"), ITAN ("'I'd consider ____ honor'"), ITNO ("'Pay ____ mind'") and SEC ("'Hold on just a ___.'"). Also among the answers was CEE, which is an unnecessary spelling of the letter C. The simple letter C works just fine without adding "EE" to it. "Panting" was the clue for AGASP, which I don't think is a real word. And REBAS for "Belonging to singer McEntire"? Horrid! For next week's "Show & Tell" I hope to find a better puzzle.
« Last Edit: December 29, 2014, 08:56:18 PM by LARadioRewind »