CRUCIVERB.COM

User

Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.

Forgot your password?

Navigate

Resources

Donations

You can help support this site by making a small donation using either a PayPal account:

or with a major credit card such as:

Click here for details.

Author Topic: Fri., 12/5 Marti Duguay-Carpenter  (Read 4336 times)

magus

Fri., 12/5 Marti Duguay-Carpenter
« on: December 05, 2014, 09:12:57 AM »
THEME:   i inserted in a phrases changes their meanings

GOOD ONES:     
SpongeBob's underwear, vis-à-vis Mickey's?   BOXIER BRIEFS   
Jeep, vis-à-vis a Cadillac?   BUMPIER CAR   
Hill workers   ANTS [oldie but goodie]   
What recon may provide   INTEL [amazing how these military terms have become so familiar to the laity]   

BTW:   
Ins   ELECTEES [I'm not sure I have ever read "ins" referring to pols anywhere but in Xwords.]   

I liked that EZRA Pound was allowed to offset just a bit SpongeBob, Jessica ALBA, MOBIL, TORO, and REBA McIntyre.  And there was even mention one of my tools: C-CLAMP.   

RATING:    ;D ;D
Three grins = Loved it; Two grins = Enjoyed it; One grin = A bit bland for my taste; One teardrop = Not much fun   

Thomps2525

Re: Fri., 12/5 Marti Duguay-Carpenter
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2014, 04:44:25 PM »
Ladies and gentlemen of the jury, I have objections to three of the answers in today's crossword and I'm hoping that after I present my arguments, you will find the puzzlemaker guilty.

One clue is "SpongeBob's underwear, vis-à-vis Mickey's"? The answer is BOXIERBRIEFS. In some of the first few Mickey Mouse cartoons, Minnie's bloomers and/or panties were shown, but Mickey himself has never been depicted wearing underwear, neither in cartoons nor in comic strips and comic books.

Another clue is "Jeep, vis-à-vis a Cadillac?" The answer is BUMPIERCAR. Unless there are actual bumps on the bodies of those vehicles, I maintain that the answer is inappropriate. A road can be bumpy and a ride can be bumpy, but the car itself can not be bumpy.

And CASH is clued with "Get money for." I don't consider that definition to be accurate. Perhaps in the phrase "Cash a check," the word "cash" could be interpreted as "get money for" but it's a very loose interpretation. A better clue would have been "J.C. Penney's middle name" or "Country music's 'Man in Black.'"

rbe

« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2014, 10:00:18 PM »
How about "cash in your chips?"

Thomps2525

« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2014, 01:38:41 PM »
You answered your own question. The phrase is "cash in your chips" and not simply "cash your chips." With the clue "Get money for," the answer should have been the obvious one: SELL. That would have meant reworking that section of the grid but Marti Duguay-Carpenter could have done so and then she might have had an easier time trying to get money for the puzzle.

(See what I did there?)