CRUCIVERB.COM

User

Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.

Forgot your password?

Navigate

Resources

Donations

You can help support this site by making a small donation using either a PayPal account:

or with a major credit card such as:

Click here for details.

Author Topic: ideas for a planet-themed rebus puzzle  (Read 16103 times)

ebirnholz

ideas for a planet-themed rebus puzzle
« on: July 30, 2010, 01:28:27 PM »
I'm trying to create a rebus puzzle with the names of planets put into a single box.  The main idea is to have three entries with the planets, and a final entry that cross-references them.  Here's what I've got so far (with the rebus planet in brackets and bolded):

• DONTF[EARTH]EREAPER (13 letters)
  • THURGOOD[MARS]HALL (13 letters)
  • ITSASMALLWORLD (cross-referencing clue, with 14 letters)

Now, I'm trying to come up with a 14-square entry that either uses VENUS or PLUTO, but it's very difficult to come up with stand-alone phrases or things that are "in the language" using these planets.  Here are some of my ideas:

• [VENUS]TIANOCARRANZA.  Venustiano Carranza was a leader of the Mexican Revolution and President of Mexico from 1914-1917.  Too obscure?
  • [PLUTO]NIUMCOMPOUNDS
  • [PLUTO]NIUMSYNTHESIS

I'm not sure about any of these, so I could try switching some of the other entries up.  I might be able to use a 13-square entry with VENUS, but the only thing I've been able to come up with is WINDOWSSE[VENUS]ERS.  I don't know if that works either.

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

(By the way, this is the second time I've had to post this topic, as the first topic thread mysteriously disappeared from the forum.)

tgray

Re: ideas for a planet-themed rebus puzzle
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2010, 10:47:12 AM »
How about CAMPU(SUN)IVERSITY (14 letters)?

tgray

« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2010, 11:05:34 AM »
P.S.  I know the sun is not considered a "planet" but maybe it still works with the "It's A Small World" theme. 

admin

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2010, 12:40:28 PM »
The fact that Pluto is no longer considered a planet could be an issue.

ebirnholz

« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2010, 01:14:13 PM »
tgray: I probably won't go with the sun for that reason.

Kevin: Yeah, I wondered about that myself, which is why I tried hard to get Venus to work first.

One alternative might be to shorten the cross-reference entry to SMALLWORLD, and then try to come up with a 10-letter phrase or thing using VENUS, although I've had trouble with that too.  Another alternative might be to ditch the other planets and just focus on EARTH, although I personally think fitting in other planets would make the overall puzzle stronger.

tgray

« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2010, 01:55:10 PM »
Here's one more:  MAKE(SATURN)AROUND (11)

admin

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2010, 08:47:40 AM »
I personally think fitting in other planets would make the overall puzzle stronger.

I agree. Go with the planet idea, but not necessarily small. Yep, SATURN has a number of possibilities, as does MARS. I won't discuss URANUS.  :D

ebirnholz

« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2010, 07:25:14 PM »
Saturn is probably a better planet to use than either Venus or Pluto, although I'm hoping to get an entry that uses either 10, 13 or 14 squares.  What do people think of FORCE[SATURN]OVER (10 squares)?  The clue could be "Plays good defense, say."

ABajcz

« Reply #8 on: August 24, 2010, 11:45:21 PM »
I really like this theme idea. I also like the simple SMALLWORLD as the cross-reference (I like anything that can be clued in quotes--"What a coincidence!")...I think FORCE(SATURN)OVER is Grade A, as is DONTF(EARTH)EREAPER. My problem with THURGOOD(MARS)HALL is that it's not as 'hidden' as the other answers so far. What about GRAM(MARS)CHOOL (10)? Seems like something ending in ARSON or ARSENAL could also work.

As for the other planets...Hmm
MERCURY, JUPITER, and NEPTUNE are out

VENUS...All I can think of is stuff like HAVEYOUFORGI(VENUS) (13) and YOUVEGI(VENUS)HOPE (12)...which aren't the greatest...

URANUS seems like it could be possible, but all I can think of is DURAND(URANUS)HER (10) :P...Q(URANUS)AGE (5)? :D

As for Pluto, I still would consider it a "world," though it is not a planet. It's your call, but it doesn't break apart very well...Good luck!

fungi1995

« Reply #9 on: August 25, 2010, 12:06:02 AM »
Note that there have been published puzzles like this in the past: http://xwordinfo.com/Crossword?date=4/20/2008&g=131&d=D