CRUCIVERB.COM

User

Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.

Forgot your password?

Navigate

Resources

Donations

You can help support this site by making a small donation using either a PayPal account:

or with a major credit card such as:

Click here for details.

Author Topic: Submissions from outside the US?  (Read 9954 times)

snubian

Submissions from outside the US?
« on: July 23, 2009, 02:09:30 AM »
Hi all,

Can anyone tell me whether the NYT - or other US-based publications - accept crossword submissions from constructors in countries other than the United States? I've noticed that some submission guidelines request a social security number, which of course I don't have. I'm in Australia, by the way.

I'd be interested to hear from anyone outside the US who has had a crossword accepted or received feedback that would suggest country of origin is not an issue.

Thanks!
Stuart

Todd G

Re: Submissions from outside the US?
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2009, 10:40:00 AM »
I guess someone should answer this.

The NYT (and other publications) have published at least a few Canadian constructors (probably more than a few), and Gareth Bain of South Africa has been published in the LA Times.  So I don't think country of origin is an issue.

I think the social security number is needed for tax purposes: if you live outside the US, I'm guessing this isn't a problem.

Good luck with your submission(s).

Gareth Bain

Re: Submissions from outside the US?
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2009, 02:14:24 AM »
Don't normally hang out here, but this caught my eye on the way to the puzzles... Country of origin is only an issue for Simon and Shuster (who only accept US and Canadian submissions) to my knowledge. Definitely can confirm that the LAT, Timothy Parker, Newsday and NYT do accept foreign puzzles, though the last two haven't accepted any of mine.
BTW, see you're an Aussie :), not that that in anyway prejudices me...