CRUCIVERB.COM

User

Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.

Forgot your password?

Navigate

Resources

Donations

You can help support this site by making a small donation using either a PayPal account:

or with a major credit card such as:

Click here for details.

Author Topic: Cluing for the word "GARP"  (Read 17047 times)

phil_m99

Cluing for the word "GARP"
« on: May 26, 2009, 01:38:33 PM »
I might be pooched on this one.  It's "GARPS", actually.

I'm trying to save "RAILCAR" and "SPACEAGE" on the crosses, and the plural comes from ALLOWS, so that can't be tweaked either.

If I change SPACEAGE to SURCEASE, GARPS morphs into LORUS (largest species of sea gulls), so that's only marginally better imo, plus I've now got the ugliness of SURCEASE to deal with.

The rest of the puz is rock solid (or as near as my ability can get to that state).

Yah I know, I'm pooched ... :(
"I tell you, we are here on earth to fart around, and don't let anybody tell you different." - Kurt Vonnegut

Eric Maddy

Re: Cluing for the word "GARP"
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2009, 07:27:40 PM »
"Irving protagonist" for GARP.

Doorbell

« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2009, 10:26:05 AM »
Unfortunately, Phil needs a clue for GARPS, not GARP

The only idea I've been able to come up with is in the movie The World According to Garp.  There are several actors who played Garp: Williams as the adult Garp; McCall as the young Garp; and Roth as the infant Garp.  You might be able to contrive a clue referring to these different Garps.

But I too really think you are pooched ...

phil_m99

« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2009, 04:22:50 PM »
Unfortunately, Phil needs a clue for GARPS, not GARP

The only idea I've been able to come up with is in the movie The World According to Garp.  There are several actors who played Garp: Williams as the adult Garp; McCall as the young Garp; and Roth as the infant Garp.  You might be able to contrive a clue referring to these different Garps.

But I too really think you are pooched ...

I never thought, during construction, that there isn't another GARP in the world.  You know, "Irving protagonist (as per the other post, thank you) and 1956 US open champ Charlie", or something.  Even that sounds bad ...

I've also since found out that the theme I used has been done about 4 times, so I guess it gets filed under "my mockuments".
"I tell you, we are here on earth to fart around, and don't let anybody tell you different." - Kurt Vonnegut

Reverend Finch

« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2009, 02:08:13 AM »
Irving protagonist and others = GARPS.

Doorbell

« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2009, 09:25:29 AM »
Irving protagonist and others = GARPS.

I'm not sure an editor would accept this.  Usually you need to be able to cite at least two names.
« Last Edit: June 07, 2009, 09:27:01 AM by Doorbell »

robedits

« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2009, 12:51:59 AM »
An editor ought to accept "Belonging to an Irving protagonist."

Check above, if you would, and see if you can give me a hand with SENTER :)