CRUCIVERB.COM

User

Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.

Forgot your password?

Navigate

Resources

Donations

You can help support this site by making a small donation using either a PayPal account:

or with a major credit card such as:

Click here for details.

Author Topic: Word OK to use?  (Read 6443 times)

cranberry44

Word OK to use?
« on: May 06, 2022, 09:06:53 AM »
A NYT Shortz era puzzle contains the word "thees"; and the clue is "Words between Friends."  If I could use this word, I could finish my 15 X 15 puzzle; but I don't understand what this entry means. Note that "Friends" is capitalized in the clue. Can anybody help with the meaning?

"Thees" appears in Aug. 14, 1994 puzzle and doesn't appear to have anything to do with the theme.
« Last Edit: May 06, 2022, 09:11:12 AM by cranberry44 »

mmcbs

Re: Word OK to use?
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2022, 09:37:22 AM »
It's a reference to Quakers who used "thee" once upon a time long after other English speakers said "you". So, it's a plural pronoun, somewhat like hes, shes, but the latter (he and she) are accepted for usage as noun, while yous and theys are not standard. Your reference to usage in NYT is ancient; I don't think this is a good entry, though it has been used more recently but not by any incumbent editor. I suggest you tweak your grid to find a better choice.
Mark McClain
Salem, Virginia, USA
https://crosswordsbymark.wordpress.com/

cranberry44

Re: Word OK to use?
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2022, 12:48:03 PM »
Whoa! Never would have guessed that! Since that's the case, I'm surprised Shortz era contains this "word." I'll definitely have to try something else. Thanks!