CRUCIVERB.COM

User

Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.

Forgot your password?

Navigate

Resources

Donations

You can help support this site by making a small donation using either a PayPal account:

or with a major credit card such as:

Click here for details.

Author Topic: Quip puzzles  (Read 5423 times)

cohenpeart

Quip puzzles
« on: December 07, 2021, 09:41:31 AM »
I learned the hard way that The New York Times doesn't usually run quip puzzles, when the editors told me in a rejection letter. Are any of the other usual publishers known to accept and run quip puzzles? What's the general sentiment among creators regarding quip puzzles?

mmcbs

Re: Quip puzzles
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2021, 09:55:14 AM »
Quip (or quote) puzzles are definitely out of fashion. Occasionally Newsday will run one, and they also sometimes appear in the Mega Crossword Puzzles Books (Simon & Schuster). Interesting that NYT says they "usually" don't run them; suggests if it's good enough they might. They only have about a 5% approval ratio, so regardless of what kind of theme you send, it's likely to get rejected. It appears they "usually" don't use any run-of-the-mill themes. Always looking for something new.
Mark McClain
Salem, Virginia, USA
https://crosswordsbymark.wordpress.com/

Glenn9999

• Common Solver, New Constructor
Re: Quip puzzles
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2021, 10:49:50 PM »
I learned the hard way that The New York Times doesn't usually run quip puzzles, when the editors told me in a rejection letter. Are any of the other usual publishers known to accept and run quip puzzles? What's the general sentiment among creators regarding quip puzzles?

To add what's already been said, quip puzzles can usually be pretty bad on the "solving experience" end, too.  The problem, a lot of the time, is the quip needs to be novel, entertaining, and fairly known at the same time for the idea to work well and come off as fun.  Minus the fairly known aspect, for average-skilled solvers, quip puzzles usually turn into downs-only solves around the entries and make solving the puzzle a lot more of a chore as a result for guessing the quip words.  So the payoff needs to be higher at least in terms of the entertainment value.  Inevitably, some kind of quip quote that just happens to give the constructor a giggle, (or even worse) something the constructor made up themselves, falls short on that.   Just better off to not.

(Same argument for "group" type themes, wherein it holds theme entries of random words that have something in common.)