CRUCIVERB.COM

User

Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.

Forgot your password?

Navigate

Resources

Donations

You can help support this site by making a small donation using either a PayPal account:

or with a major credit card such as:

Click here for details.

Author Topic: Theme consistency  (Read 5084 times)

zinaphile

Theme consistency
« on: November 26, 2021, 10:11:11 PM »
I'm working on a  theme idea in which I take four theme words that are related, add a second word to make a common phrase in which the meaning of the theme word is changed, then clue it punnily using the theme word's original meaning. For example, RUNIN might be a theme word based on its meaning as "a quarrel", and the entry would be RUNINSIDE clued, perhaps, as [Hatfield or McCoy?]  Not what I'm really working on, which I hope is better, so don't get hung up on this entry. 

Key point: notice the parsing of IN - it's part of RUNIN in the theme, but part of INSIDE for the more common phrase. I don't have examples to go along with RUNIN, but in what I'm working on the other three theme words don't have this change of parsing; the theme word remains intact when read as the common phrase.

So there's a slight inconsistency in the parsing. But all the entries are consistent wrt the theme - a common phrase contains a theme word and is clued based on that word. The question is - is this inconsistency fatal? Does RUNIN have to get tossed?

mmcbs

Re: Theme consistency
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2021, 04:07:45 AM »
Hard to say for certain, but an inconsistency in the structure of the theme entries is probably a knockout.
Mark McClain
Salem, Virginia, USA
https://crosswordsbymark.wordpress.com/

zinaphile

Re: Theme consistency
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2021, 09:15:03 PM »
OK. Thanks for the feedback.