CRUCIVERB.COM

User

Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.

Forgot your password?

Navigate

Resources

Donations

You can help support this site by making a small donation using either a PayPal account:

or with a major credit card such as:

Click here for details.

Author Topic: Clues Construction - Sharing Experiences  (Read 5365 times)

nicgrax

Clues Construction - Sharing Experiences
« on: June 21, 2021, 01:53:36 AM »
Hello everyone,

I have recently taken up puzzle building and in particular I would like to make a book of crosswords.

I would like to ask for some advice regarding construction and clues .

Here are some questions:

1. Do you use databases for the words and clues?

2. I still don't know if the database provided by cruciverb.com includes only words or also clues. If someone who already uses it can explain to me how it is structured.

3. Since I have to create a lot of crossword puzzles for the book, I would like to understand what is the fastest way, while maintaining good quality standards for the puzzles, to be able to do them in the best possible way. I would like to get feedback from your experiences.

Thank you very much and I look forward to your reply.

mmcbs

Re: Clues Construction - Sharing Experiences
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2021, 06:51:34 AM »
Yes, we all use databases for words and clues.

The word databases, such as the ones available on this site, don't have clues, only words (and some of theme have scores). Usually the word databases are text files that you can import into your software.

Matt Ginsberg's clue database is the most exhaustive collection of clues: https://tiwwdty.com/clue/ It's free. This is a good source of clues, but many constructors use a lot of "original" clues to make their puzzles more interesting.

For commercial quality puzzles (whether in book form or otherwise) I don't believe it's possible to create them quickly. Those you see in books or newspapers have all been constructed word by word and clue by clue by professional constructors and edited by professional editors.
Mark McClain
Salem, Virginia, USA
https://crosswordsbymark.wordpress.com/

Kumar (Kem) Balani

« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2021, 10:26:23 AM »

June 21,
June 21, 2021
Dear ALL,
I got this message below when I clicked on this clue database,
so I am not going to take a change possibly have my PC ruined.
Kumar (Kem) Balani

" Windows protected your PC. Microsoft Defender SmartScreen prevented an unrecognized app from starting. Running this app might put your PC at risk.
App:
clue_setup.exe
Publisher: 
Unknown publisher "

mmcbs

« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2021, 01:34:15 PM »
Hundreds of constructors use this utility to download the clue database. I've never had a problem with it nor have I heard from anyone who has.
Mark McClain
Salem, Virginia, USA
https://crosswordsbymark.wordpress.com/