CRUCIVERB.COM

User

Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.

Forgot your password?

Navigate

Resources

Donations

You can help support this site by making a small donation using either a PayPal account:

or with a major credit card such as:

Click here for details.

Author Topic: Two-part clues: okay?  (Read 5019 times)

super_aardvark

Two-part clues: okay?
« on: February 02, 2021, 04:17:38 AM »
How acceptable is it to use two-part clues in a theme?  Something where the answer is two words that go together (a name or a phrase), but each word is clued separately -- something like "____ hockey / cat and ____" for FIELD MOUSE (to give a really lame example).

mmcbs

Re: Two-part clues: okay?
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2021, 04:52:51 AM »
Themes based on cluing gimmicks are often interesting. In order for it to work, I would think there needs to be some unifying element. In other words I don't think it would work if th theme entries were just random two-word phrases and the clues just straight definitions of the two words.
Mark McClain
Salem, Virginia, USA
https://crosswordsbymark.wordpress.com/

super_aardvark

« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2021, 12:56:07 PM »
Thanks, that's encouraging.  All of the two-word phrases would be related, at a minimum (all names of animals, say, to follow my previous example).  Do you think that would be enough, or do I need to come up with clues that are also related in some way?

mmcbs

« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2021, 01:39:44 PM »
It's hard to know without seeing what you have in mind. For example,  if you had BENGAL TIGER clued as "Asian bay / Detroit ballplayer", that might work. If you'd be interested in running a few entries by me, I'd be glad to take a look (mcclain.salem at gmail)
Mark McClain
Salem, Virginia, USA
https://crosswordsbymark.wordpress.com/