CRUCIVERB.COM

User

Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.

Forgot your password?

Navigate

Resources

Donations

You can help support this site by making a small donation using either a PayPal account:

or with a major credit card such as:

Click here for details.

Author Topic: Pronoun usage in clue referring to different answer  (Read 4974 times)

garuda18

Pronoun usage in clue referring to different answer
« on: January 25, 2021, 08:43:03 PM »
Hi there everyone,

So I'm working on a puzzle where one of the down answers is a three-word phrase involving "____ YOUR ____."

I have another answer going across it that relates to it, so I'm trying to see if I can have the clue for the across be something along the lines of: "Something you might do before you 18-down."

It feels a little off to use "you" in the clue since the answer it is referring to has "your" in it, which I believe usually would be breaking the rules (right?), even though it is referring to the answer of a different clue.

Am I just overthinking it and something like this would probably be okay? Or is it iffy and I should avoid it? Also, am I correct that if an answer has "YOUR" in it, it would not be okay to have "YOU" in the clue for that answer?

Thanks for your time.

mmcbs

Re: Pronoun usage in clue referring to different answer
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2021, 08:49:41 PM »
I would avoid it. Definitely shouldn't use a word in the clue that is part of the answer, and that would apply to a cross reference, I would think.
Mark McClain
Salem, Virginia, USA
https://crosswordsbymark.wordpress.com/

garuda18

Re: Pronoun usage in clue referring to different answer
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2021, 09:40:58 PM »
Thanks! Definitely makes sense to just avoid it. I think I finally found a way to word the clue without using pronouns anyway.