CRUCIVERB.COM

User

Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.

Forgot your password?

Navigate

Resources

Donations

You can help support this site by making a small donation using either a PayPal account:

or with a major credit card such as:

Click here for details.

Author Topic: Time from submission to print for the various publications  (Read 4615 times)

cyberLOT

Time from submission to print for the various publications
« on: August 16, 2020, 11:41:30 PM »
Hello-

Please would someone post
(1) a list of publications that a novice constructor can submit to
(2) and the time from submission to the puzzle appearing in the publication (i.e., lag time from submission to publication).
Thank you very much.

axlrosen

Re: Time from submission to print for the various publications
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2020, 05:40:23 AM »
This doesn't answer your question, but before sending off my first puzzle to an actual publication, I would seek feedback from people on this list or other resources. You'll get much more rapid feedback (days instead of months) and you'll improve/learn a lot faster that way.

In general, most outlets give responses in 1-5 months nowadays, and time to publication can be 3-10 months I'd guess. NYT and LAT are the slowest in my experience.

The list on cruciverb.com is pretty out of date. The actual list of publications open to the general public I think is:

NYT
WSJ
Atlantic
Universal
LA Times
Newsday
Fireball
Crosswords Club
Spyscape

mmcbs

« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2020, 07:04:46 AM »
Axlrosen's post is pretty much spot on (except that I'm not aware of the specs or process for Atlantic - it appears that only the Sunday 15x15 puzzles are open submission).

I would add one very important point. Of all those listed, only the LA Times and NY Times require a completed puzzle for submission. They are also the slowest to respond.

All the others welcome theme queries, which means you just send them your idea for a theme set (with clues). This is a great process for beginners, because the editors often suggest changes or different approaches to the theme, which can save you a lot of work and generally get your puzzle published quicker. Most editors respond to theme queries fairly quickly (a few hours to up to a month).
Mark McClain
Salem, Virginia, USA
https://crosswordsbymark.wordpress.com/

axlrosen

« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2020, 01:03:00 PM »
In the six months that I've been submitting puzzles, only Newsday and Fireball have responded to me in a few days, even for theme queries. Everyone else takes a month or two.

mmcbs

« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2020, 03:08:15 PM »
The spec sheets on the Cruciverb Facebook page may be more up to date than those on this site (it is not related to cruciverb.com, to my knowledge):
https://www.facebook.com/groups/cruciverb/files
Mark McClain
Salem, Virginia, USA
https://crosswordsbymark.wordpress.com/

flight

« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2020, 02:24:57 PM »
I couldn't find a spec sheet on the Fireball website or elsewhere, and I don't use FB. Can anyone provide access to it here in some manner?

flight

« Reply #7 on: August 20, 2020, 06:00:27 PM »
Thanks, Mark!