CRUCIVERB.COM

User

Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.

Forgot your password?

Navigate

Resources

Donations

You can help support this site by making a small donation using either a PayPal account:

or with a major credit card such as:

Click here for details.

Author Topic: Clue feedback  (Read 5076 times)

zinaphile

Clue feedback
« on: July 24, 2020, 12:40:17 AM »
What do you all think of cluing HOLDUPS as [Bandits' fortes]? Unacceptable? Weak? Reasonable? Solid?

I can't rely on an editor for this as changing it would break other puzzle elements.

mmcbs

Re: Clue feedback
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2020, 05:10:11 AM »
Seems OK to me.
Mark McClain
Salem, Virginia, USA
https://crosswordsbymark.wordpress.com/

zinaphile

« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2020, 10:05:48 PM »
Cool. One more question: how does [Bandits' deeds] compare with [Bandits' fortes] for HOLDUPS? Better? Worse? Similar?

cmcetta

« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2020, 09:18:42 AM »
You could always use something like "Traffic jams" if you are worried about the context.

cranberry44

« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2020, 04:49:12 PM »
A thought on this, for what it's worth: "bandit" has the connotation of someone breaking and entering, whereas "robber" has the connotation of someone doing a one-on-one grab (holdup). Maybe change to "robbers' fortes"?

zinaphile

« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2020, 12:13:19 AM »
Good suggestions, but [Bandits' fortes] or [Bandits' deeds] are what I'm looking at for thematic reasons. I just want to make sure I'm being fair to the solver (I should've made that clearer). So the question is, as a solver what would your reaction be to each of those clues? Would one or both leave you grumbling? Would they lead you to HOLDUPS (perhaps needing a couple of crosses)?

axlrosen

« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2020, 07:07:33 AM »
I would be fine with either one, no grumbling here. I'm sure I'd need a couple of crosses but that's fine.

Wheels12

« Reply #7 on: July 27, 2020, 06:07:30 PM »
I like "deeds" (or "acts" or other synonyms) better than "fortes." I'm nitpicking here but I think a holdup is not necessarily what a bandit is good at. It's just how he makes a living.

I don't think of a bandit as someone who breaks and enters. That, to me, is a burglar. When I hear "bandit" I think of someone sticking up a train or covered wagon. Again, just my two cents.

zinaphile

« Reply #8 on: July 28, 2020, 02:07:01 AM »
Yeah, you're right, "deeds" is more on point. But "fortes" works a bit better thematically. One of those trade offs that always vex me - not experienced enough to be confident in my judgement.

cranberry44

« Reply #9 on: July 30, 2020, 08:15:56 AM »
Whoops! My mistake. In my mind, I was thinking "burglar" instead of "bandit." So I agree "bandit" should be OK.

zinaphile

« Reply #10 on: August 02, 2020, 04:05:54 PM »
A belated thanks to all for your input. It's been very helpful.