CRUCIVERB.COM

User

Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.

Forgot your password?

Navigate

Resources

Donations

You can help support this site by making a small donation using either a PayPal account:

or with a major credit card such as:

Click here for details.

Author Topic: Constructing children's crossword puzzles  (Read 4180 times)

flight

Constructing children's crossword puzzles
« on: July 04, 2020, 05:07:46 PM »
I'm attempting to construct a crossword puzzle for my 6- and 8-yr-old nephews who have been bitten by the crossword bug already (the 6-yr-old more than the 8-yr-old).

Does anyone know about opportunities to get children's crosswords published? Where does one find such opportunities? What about rules/conventions of crossword construction for children's crossword puzzles (and how they might necessarily differ from "adult" crosswords)? It would seem sensible that some different rules would apply, depending on the target age. It would seem wise to scrap the idea of using a theme and just construct a smaller grid (10x10?) with mostly 4-, 5-, and 3-letter words, mostly nouns and very common simple words that a x-yr-old would know. I would figure the clues should be written in a very straightforward manner — perhaps more wordier to ensure adequate clarity for kids of such nascent intellect.

These are just my deductions. I'd be curious to know more if anyone has any wisdom on this. Thanks!

« Last Edit: July 04, 2020, 08:10:59 PM by flight »

Glenn9999

• Common Solver, New Constructor
Re: Constructing children's crossword puzzles
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2020, 11:11:33 PM »
Not interested from a constructing sake, but interested in terms of finding some for some nieces and nephews.

axlrosen

Re: Constructing children's crossword puzzles
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2020, 08:14:59 AM »
I would guess that the target audience is far less demanding than for adult crosswords, so I doubt there's any opportunity to get paid for it.

Here's the sort of puzzle I remember from kid's magazines back in the day: https://www.highlights.com/store/books-and-reading/puzzles-and-crafts/puzzlemania-4-book-set#&gid=1&pid=11