CRUCIVERB.COM

User

Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.

Forgot your password?

Navigate

Resources

Donations

You can help support this site by making a small donation using either a PayPal account:

or with a major credit card such as:

Click here for details.

Author Topic: Question-marked clues besides theme answers  (Read 4472 times)

garuda18

Question-marked clues besides theme answers
« on: May 15, 2020, 06:28:21 PM »
Hi there, I am on my third crossword puzzle construction and have a general question.

I have four theme entries whose clues all end with a question mark signifying a play on words. How many other clues with word play like that are generally considered acceptable without obscuring the main theme answers?

I was trying to have the four theme answers as the only ones whose clues end in a question mark in that way. I am finding my puzzles might be too easy, though, so in trying to think of ways to make the clues harder and less straightforward I considered using more of that type of clue for non-theme answers.

I feel like I recently read (and agree with) the potential for too many other question marked clues obscuring which ones are the theme answers. I swear I've seen maybe two or three extra question marked clues in a NYT puzzle with four themed entries (with their own question marked clues), so I'm thinking maybe around two or three? More? None?

Thanks!

mmcbs

Re: Question-marked clues besides theme answers
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2020, 11:03:00 AM »
Go ahead and clue it as you think it should be published. If it's accepted the editor will adjust the clues to suit their purpose.
Mark McClain
Salem, Virginia, USA
https://crosswordsbymark.wordpress.com/

garuda18

« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2020, 03:11:25 PM »
Sounds good, thank you for your advice. Quick follow up (I can make a new post too if that's what I should do):

If I post a crossword here to get some feedback, does that automatically consider it being publicly available, and thus disqualified from being submitted to publishers? I suppose I could do it privately too through direct messages and that wouldn't count as publicly available.

Wheels12

« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2020, 04:22:37 PM »
I can't imagine how posting it here would disqualify it from publication. I'm a novice constructor myself but feel free to PM me if you're still looking for some feedback.

stephenbishop

« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2020, 01:49:04 PM »
Just a thought... perhaps post a question asking for people who would be willing to revue your puzzle, puzzle testers. These forums are technically available to the public. Its not a question 'has it been published', its a question of retaining ownership until its published and is copyrighted. There are so many crossword outlets know, I could see an unscrupulous person stealing a puzzle and submitting it elsewhere. Not sure if it exists as I'm a newbie posting here, but would be great if there was a sticky post for people to review puzzles for 'constructive' feedback ;)