CRUCIVERB.COM

User

Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.

Forgot your password?

Navigate

Resources

Donations

You can help support this site by making a small donation using either a PayPal account:

or with a major credit card such as:

Click here for details.

Author Topic: Consistency of theme  (Read 4257 times)

cranberry44

Consistency of theme
« on: May 04, 2020, 10:43:47 AM »
I have four theme entries that are the last names of famous people who share the same occupation. The clues for all the entries do not refer to the person but to something other than the person. My problem is that one of the famous names in the four themers needs to be pluralized to fit. For that entry can I use something like: Clue: Luminous ice floes? (or theme-related answer and family); Ans.: Goldbergs. The famous name is "Goldberg," though. Would having the actual surnames for 3 themers and the pluralized form of the surname, with the phrase in parentheses attached to the clue for 1 themer. be a "killer"?

mmcbs

Re: Consistency of theme
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2020, 10:52:47 AM »
Yeah, I would be afraid to go with that. Some editors will allow some theme entries to be pluralized while others are not, but I don't think it would be allowed in a case such as you describe.
Mark McClain
Salem, Virginia, USA
https://crosswordsbymark.wordpress.com/

cranberry44

« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2020, 11:17:08 AM »
Once again, thanx Mark! I'll tear up that section.

Wheels12

« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2020, 04:23:49 PM »
I agree with Mark. Try to make your theme as tight as possible. You can always fix some mediocre fill, but fixing a mediocre theme often requires a teardown.