CRUCIVERB.COM

User

Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.

Forgot your password?

Navigate

Resources

Donations

You can help support this site by making a small donation using either a PayPal account:

or with a major credit card such as:

Click here for details.

Author Topic: NYT Submission  (Read 4291 times)

jlogs

NYT Submission
« on: April 17, 2020, 10:24:36 AM »
Hey everyone! I am new to crossword construction and had a question on submitting to the NYT. Is there anything wrong with using standard envelopes (requiring folding the submission into thirds) or do you know if a full size envelope is preferred so the paper stays flat? I couldn’t find any specifics on that.

Thanks for your help!

mmcbs

Re: NYT Submission
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2020, 10:36:51 AM »
Standard envelope is OK
Mark McClain
Salem, Virginia, USA
https://crosswordsbymark.wordpress.com/

maryheather1

« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2020, 11:37:10 AM »
Another noobie question-- should submissions include a cover letter, or is that just extra paper for them to have to deal with?  Thanks!

mmcbs

« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2020, 11:43:51 AM »
I know some people send cover letters, but I'm of the opinion there is really no need. The puzzle should stand on its own, since that's how it's presented to the solver when published. The solver sees no title or introduction, just clues and a grid. The only explanatory information you might consider adding would be citations for your sources for a clue/answer ONLY IF it cannot be found by a quick search of dictionary or other standard sources. This can be entered in the clue editing panel in Crossword Compiler (explanation block), which then appears on the word/clue list you print out.
Mark McClain
Salem, Virginia, USA
https://crosswordsbymark.wordpress.com/