CRUCIVERB.COM

User

Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.

Forgot your password?

Navigate

Resources

Donations

You can help support this site by making a small donation using either a PayPal account:

or with a major credit card such as:

Click here for details.

Author Topic: HUI???  (Read 4985 times)

Raymond Hansen

HUI???
« on: January 25, 2020, 06:03:10 PM »
Hello,

I'm working on a difficult puzzle and am kind of forced to use HUI - "Muslim ethnic group in China." When I google it, there are over a billion hits, including relatively recent articles about them in Time, The New Yorker, NPR, etc. Yet, it only comes up once in the Cruciverb database (LAT, 2008 (a Sunday puzzle)). Does anyone know why this three-letter combo is pretty much never used?  I could use HUA (still, not a great entry).

- Joe

mmcbs

Re: HUI???
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2020, 06:23:02 PM »
I'd guess because most people who do Amercan crosswords don't know what it is. I didn't.
Mark McClain
Salem, Virginia, USA
https://crosswordsbymark.wordpress.com/

cheapcookies

« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2020, 04:40:41 PM »
HUI or HUA are not great words, but there is a chance one of them can be used if the puzzle is really, really good otherwise. Good wordplay, a neat twist or similar may get a small sin like HUI overlooked.  I cite as an example a recent NYT puzzle that had ASAHI in it. ASAHI is a Japanese brewing company and is not an English word, but there it was in a NYT Sunday puzzle because the rest of the puzzle had a neat twist to it. Now we both know something we didn't before, what HUI and ASAHI mean. And we know enough to avoid them. I'd pull the word from my puzzle dictionary, but feel free to do as you wish.

Bottom line is, you never know until you send it in and are rejected. With the number of constructors growing everyday and the fact that there is a plethora of unpublished puzzles in the que, bear in mind if it doesn't look outstanding to you, it probably isn't.

-cc

axlrosen

« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2020, 06:28:57 AM »
I think that Asahi is far better known to Americans that Hui -- at least to anyone who eats sushi. It's been used 18 times in the NYT.

mmcbs

« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2020, 09:08:22 AM »
I'd just like to add that one reason that HUI gets so many Google hits is that it has a number of meanings (none of which are familiar in American English, IMO). It's an airline code in Vietnam, a borrow word from Maori used in Australia and New Zealand for a meeting or event, name of several Wikipedia-worthy Chinese nobles, surname seen in modern times, ancient Egyptian name, and an anglicized spelling of a Russian profanity.

ASAHI beer can be purchased at Walmart, so that makes it common, though obviously not known by everyone.
Mark McClain
Salem, Virginia, USA

cranberry44

« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2020, 12:29:28 PM »
How about "Lee Teng-___"? (Lee Teng-hui). He was the president of the Republic of China. 1988-2000; and the only Taiwanese-born president of China. There's a rather lengthy article about him in Wikipedia. If the rest of your puzzle is "clear," you might be able to use "hui" as an entry?

mmcbs

« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2020, 01:06:36 PM »
That's a pretty good one, though he was the first Taiwan born president of Taiwan, not the only. All the previous ones were born in mainland China before the Republic of China was established in Taiwan - essentially a government in exile.
Mark McClain
Salem, Virginia, USA

cranberry44

« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2020, 02:12:39 PM »
I stand corrected. But I think you meant to say "first Taiwanese-born president of the Republic of China (not Taiwan)."

mmcbs

« Reply #8 on: January 30, 2020, 02:17:30 PM »
Taiwan is formally the Republic of China, but it is not officially recognized as such by most countries, who call it Taiwan. This includes the US.
Mark McClain
Salem, Virginia, USA

cranberry44

« Reply #9 on: January 30, 2020, 04:11:29 PM »
Thanx for clearing that up!

kirtorian

« Reply #10 on: February 25, 2020, 01:20:35 AM »
Asahi is far better known to Americans that Hui