CRUCIVERB.COM

User

Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.

Forgot your password?

Navigate

Resources

Donations

You can help support this site by making a small donation using either a PayPal account:

or with a major credit card such as:

Click here for details.

Author Topic: Help with meaning of phrase needed  (Read 4222 times)

cranberry44

Help with meaning of phrase needed
« on: December 31, 2018, 03:31:47 PM »
I want to use the term "v rails." I'm not mechanically inclined at all. So I don't know how to form a clue. I know it's a bit obscure but the rest of my puzzle is not. So I might be able to get away with it. Anyhow, sounds as if a "v rail" is a linear V-shaped guide for roller bearings or wheels? If someone could give me an explanation or, better yet, some practical use, I might be able to form a clue.

mmcbs

Re: Help with meaning of phrase needed
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2018, 03:37:27 PM »
Not in the dictionary; not in Wikipedia; not for sale on Amazon.com; never been in a crossword. I say it's a no-go.
Mark McClain
Salem, Virginia, USA
https://crosswordsbymark.wordpress.com/

cranberry44

« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2019, 11:55:04 AM »
Thanks for checking out those sites for the phrase. I looked into it a little further and, for what it's worth,
the term "v rail," I believe, is also called "v-slot rail" (sold by Amazon under this name), and "v-guide rail."
Looks like it's simply a V-shaped track for wheels to roll on--it's used for 3D printers, as well as for other
projects, such as hobby-type projects.

Not that this info warrants its use in a crossword puzzle. Just thought I might be able to use it if the rest
of the puzzle is "clean."

mmcbs

« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2019, 06:59:08 AM »
OK, if it's a v-slot rail, then it's a v-slot rail (not a v-rail). The fabulous Google search algorithm is just finding something that resembles your search term - that doesn't make it a thing, IMO.
Mark McClain
Salem, Virginia, USA
https://crosswordsbymark.wordpress.com/

cranberry44

« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2019, 10:14:29 AM »
I was able to move things around and replaced "v rails" with "brails." Thanx for the feedback, Mark.