CRUCIVERB.COM

User

Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.

Forgot your password?

Navigate

Resources

Donations

You can help support this site by making a small donation using either a PayPal account:

or with a major credit card such as:

Click here for details.

Author Topic: What's the line for an "appropriate" entry?  (Read 3686 times)

caverdia

What's the line for an "appropriate" entry?
« on: August 05, 2018, 02:34:40 PM »
Hi all,

Newbie constructor here. I know puzzles should stay light and that obscenity and scatalogical references are no-nos. But where is the border between appropriate and not? Is TOILET an acceptable fill entry, for example? What about an acronym like WTF?

Is the answer basically "if you have to ask, don't use it"?

--c

mmcbs

Re: What's the line for an "appropriate" entry?
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2018, 06:29:47 PM »
1. Check crosswordgiant.com or crosswordtracker.com to see what the various editors are approving.

2. If in doubt, leave it out.
Mark McClain
Salem, Virginia, USA
https://crosswordsbymark.wordpress.com/

cranberry44

« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2018, 02:43:26 PM »
I would think that "toilet" is a perfectly acceptable entry. Clues could be "privy" or "Word with water or humor" or "Type of humor" or some such thing. (Of course, "toilet water" is a very weak cologne.) "Toilet" also indicates grooming. There are quite a few words that come before or after "toilet" if you're trying to avoid reference to a toilet bowl.

Can't say the same about WTF. I'd avoid it because not only does it include a tasteless word but also it's too obscure. It seems me to that there are so few TEXTING acronyms that are accepted. The podcast would probably not be familiar to readers either. There is a movie "WFT!"; but no known stars are in it and it got a poor rating.

caverdia

« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2018, 08:39:30 PM »
Okay, thank you for the feedback. And thank you for those links; they're quite helpful.