CRUCIVERB.COM

User

Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.

Forgot your password?

Navigate

Resources

Donations

You can help support this site by making a small donation using either a PayPal account:

or with a major credit card such as:

Click here for details.

Author Topic: How to Choose/Create a Grid?  (Read 3929 times)

hashbrown64

How to Choose/Create a Grid?
« on: April 29, 2018, 01:11:43 PM »
Hello!  I'm brand new to constructing and have no idea how to design a grid except to randomly scroll through existing puzzles and find a grid that works for my themer lengths.  That seems...less than efficient.  I have a puzzle I'm trying to make with 4 theme entries - two of 9-letter length and two of 14-letter length.  Is there some tool that can help me find a grid that will accommodate those four theme entries?  Thanks in advance for the help!

mmcbs

Re: How to Choose/Create a Grid?
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2018, 01:26:13 PM »
There is a grid library on this site (under the Puzzle Database menu), but most constructors use the grid library in Crossword Compiler which can be accessed directly or by entering your theme entries in the New Puzzle dialog box.
Mark McClain
Salem, Virginia, USA
https://crosswordsbymark.wordpress.com/

4wd

Re: How to Choose/Create a Grid?
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2018, 09:38:46 PM »
My suggestion would be to try building it from scratch that way you'd have more flexibility. The grid would be tailored to your specifications and it'd have a personal touch. Your 9 letter entries should be within rows 3 and above, your 14s row four and above, experiment with the placement (side, center etc.) Then add the individual black squares, remember to add two separator block fingers on the edges. This helps with your word count, pay attention to the block limit and word count whilst tweaking your black squares. Tweak them till you've created a design you're happy with.

At first it may be a little daunting, though with time you'll be able to create complex grid designs to suit your taste.