CRUCIVERB.COM

User

Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.

Forgot your password?

Navigate

Resources

Donations

You can help support this site by making a small donation using either a PayPal account:

or with a major credit card such as:

Click here for details.

Author Topic: Word Lists  (Read 9429 times)

Joyce Keller

Word Lists
« on: June 08, 2023, 07:51:40 PM »
I'm relatively new and playing around with various word lists (using Crossfire). What supplemental word list(s) do you find to have the liveliest, freshest words and realistic scoring (I find too many give 50+ to very obscure words)?  Which would you avoid at all costs due to lots of junk that is unusable? Thanks so much for the input.

mmcbs

Re: Word Lists
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2023, 07:00:05 AM »
All word list have lots of unusable stuff. You just have to be selective and fill word by word. A word list is just a tool. It can't make you a better constructor.
Mark McClain
Salem, Virginia, USA
https://crosswordsbymark.wordpress.com/

Joyce Keller

« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2023, 10:32:18 AM »
Thanks, Mark. Yes, I do it word by word, just thought some would be less distracting. I'm astounded by so many unusable words, and puzzled (no pun intended) that they even end up on these lists.

cuhnkedrik

« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2024, 06:16:14 AM »
Mark, I'm thanks. Indeed, I do it word-by-word. I simply figured some would be less distracting than others. So many useless terms shock me, and I don't understand how they make it onto these lists (pardon the pun). geometry dash

Glenn9999

• Common Solver, New Constructor
« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2024, 10:18:28 PM »
I'm relatively new and playing around with various word lists (using Crossfire). What supplemental word list(s) do you find to have the liveliest, freshest words and realistic scoring (I find too many give 50+ to very obscure words)?  Which would you avoid at all costs due to lots of junk that is unusable? Thanks so much for the input.

Indeed, I agree with mmcbs.  All these things (Software, word lists, etc) are is tools, the biggest factor on success or failure of a puzzle is how the constructor uses the tools to construct the puzzle.  Same as a carpenter can use the best tools made to build a shoddy house.  Skill is always required.   In this case, you can use the the word lists as help to indicate what will work in a slot, but it's up to you to select the best words that will work for the goal you have for the puzzle.

knockveins

« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2024, 10:32:33 PM »
Actually, words should be studied in common usage and then gradually improved later. This certainly brings focus and deeper understanding. Words always change according to each case. Therefore, to successfully use it you should understand it. basketbros

Mania22

« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2024, 07:42:35 AM »

Welcome to the world of word games! When it comes to lively and fresh word lists with realistic scoring, consider these:

Merriam-Webster's Official Scrabble Player's Dictionary (OSP):

Provides commonly used words in Scrabble.
Balanced scoring for a wide range of players.
Words With Friends Dictionary:

Tailored for the popular game, offering a mix of everyday and game-specific vocabulary.
Collins Scrabble Words:

Used in international Scrabble competitions.
Comprehensive and balanced.

caylakling

« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2024, 05:35:11 AM »
Indeed, I do it word-by-word.Thanks, Mark.                                                                                                Candy Crush

admin

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: March 05, 2024, 07:54:37 AM »
I regularly receive very good feedback on the cruciverb database word lists. I recently added more refined lists, so there are now six to choose from. All lists have had unusable (mostly thematic) entries such as letter drops, insertions, rebuses, etc., removed. You can read more on the cruciverb homepage.

-Kevin