CRUCIVERB.COM

User

Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.

Forgot your password?

Navigate

Resources

Donations

You can help support this site by making a small donation using either a PayPal account:

or with a major credit card such as:

Click here for details.

Author Topic: CrossFire DOWN clues are not in order  (Read 7938 times)

zvit

CrossFire DOWN clues are not in order
« on: January 21, 2022, 04:45:40 PM »
I have a big problem with my CrossFire .cfp files. When opening the files with a text editor, the clues are in the proper order, but upon opening the files in the CrossFire program, the DOWN clues are not in the proper order.

You can view a short video screen recording I made to show the problem: https://imageshare.best/XOOMBB.mp4

Any suggestions?
« Last Edit: January 22, 2022, 05:23:50 AM by zvit »

zvit

Re: CrossFire DOWN clues are not in order
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2022, 06:17:34 AM »
I figured out WHAT is causing the problem, but I would like to know if there is a reason for this. I'll explain.

In the .cfp file created by Crossfire, the ACROSS clue ID numbers are sequential, but the DOWN ID numbers are not. (see screenshot below)

When I created the puzzles, I did not add the clues via the CrossFire app; I did this in Excel. I then programmatically made the entire clue row inside the <WORD </WORD> brackets, and my program added these lines to the .cfp file. However, ALL the ID numbers were sequentially generated by my program. For some reason, CrossFire will not accept my ID numbers and is using a mysterious hidden ID number order list, so my DOWN ID numbers point to different words.

This problem can be resolved by opening the .cpf files and saving a second copy, which will keep the clues in the same order but will correct the order of the DOWN ID numbers. Problem solved.

I want to know where I can find the actual ID number order list that CrossFire expects - the one it creates when I save a second copy of the file.

The ID order that CF forces for DOWN:
https://bit.ly/3qRxx3h