CRUCIVERB.COM

User

Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.

Forgot your password?

Navigate

Resources

Donations

You can help support this site by making a small donation using either a PayPal account:

or with a major credit card such as:

Click here for details.

Author Topic: Creating an app for my crosswords  (Read 9201 times)

moses

Creating an app for my crosswords
« on: April 29, 2020, 02:58:10 AM »
Hi all,
I am new to this forum and would like to say hello to all. I have been creating crosswords in many languages for years. Now I would like to create an app that people can use to solve my crosswords. I would like to know if anyone has some idea on ways to achieve that.

Thank you
Moses

Glenn9999

• Common Solver, New Constructor
Re: Creating an app for my crosswords
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2020, 10:10:02 PM »
Depends on what you're wanting to get done, what tools you are using, and what kind of time you want to take with it.  And in the end, you might do better to buy use of something else than creating something.

moses

« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2020, 06:28:17 AM »
Thank you,
I want an app that can display my crosswords from Crossword Compiler or any other compatible construction program. I have some basic knowledge of Android Studio and Java but yes, it would be easier to find something already developed instead of starting from scratch.
Any ideas?
Thanks
Mos

Glenn9999

« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2020, 10:32:12 PM »
Thank you,
I want an app that can display my crosswords from Crossword Compiler or any other compatible construction program. I have some basic knowledge of Android Studio and Java but yes, it would be easier to find something already developed instead of starting from scratch.
Any ideas?
Thanks
Mos

I don't get what you're wanting.  If you want to display your crosswords, couldn't you just load up the construction program?  Now you could go to one of the solver formats like PUZ or JPZ which are loaded up in web apps or programs intended to solve puzzles.  Is that what you're going for?  In that case, your construction program should generate those files for you.   Of course, if you're interested in actually developing something, you'll need to find out how the data is laid out for whatever file type you're interested in.  In a lot of cases, that's going to involve a lot of experimentation (unless you're interested in JPZ or PUZ, lots have done that including myself, there's docs for that online).

moses

« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2020, 11:03:20 PM »
Thank you @Glenn9999 for your reply.
And sorry about me not being so clear about what I wanted to say. I should gave said it this way:
I want to create an Android app (later iOS) that people can intall on their phone to solve the crosswords I create weekly/monthly for example. I used to upload them on a website so people can solve them there. But it was an old Joomla 1.2 website discontinued because it could only rebuilt, not upgraded. Besides, the puzzles were not mobile-friendly but rather for desktops.
I am familiar with the different formats than crosswords can be exported to for interactive solving. What I want now is any experience on that kind of app that can help me go forward.
I hope I have been less confusing this time around.
Thanks and have a good day.
Moses
« Last Edit: May 03, 2020, 11:07:05 PM by moses »

Glenn9999

« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2020, 04:15:54 AM »
And sorry about me not being so clear about what I wanted to say. I should gave said it this way:
I want to create an Android app (later iOS) that people can intall on their phone to solve the crosswords I create weekly/monthly for example.    Besides, the puzzles were not mobile-friendly but rather for desktops.

Thank you for clarifying.  I don't know much about the Android or iOS market, so others will have to chime in on that.  But it seems like it's pretty rich on options from the cursory search I did, along with other website options like you described. 

The question is how much you want to pay and how much time you want to spend on developing.  I will say for my own coding efforts the biggest hassle is going to be getting the crossword grid and control working in a way that will satisfy you.

Anyway, good luck!