CRUCIVERB.COM

User

Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.

Forgot your password?

Navigate

Resources

Donations

You can help support this site by making a small donation using either a PayPal account:

or with a major credit card such as:

Click here for details.

Author Topic: RIP Crooked Crosswords electronic version  (Read 10784 times)

Greg01748

RIP Crooked Crosswords electronic version
« on: December 17, 2018, 10:51:45 AM »
As a subscriber, I received notification Crooked Crosswords will be print version only (Boston Globe) as of Jan 1 2019. Refunds being given as appropriate. I signed up using the “subscribe” link on Cruciverb home page. Time to remove that. RIP

admin

• Administrator
Re: RIP Crooked Crosswords electronic version
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2018, 09:19:37 PM »
Thanks for the info.

-Kevin

Glenn9999

• Common Solver, New Constructor
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2018, 02:28:55 AM »
I should note while we're talking about demises of electronic versions of puzzles, the Chronicle for Higher Education (CHE) has chosen to go print-only subscribe only in the New Year:

"After December 21, 2018, The Chronicle will publish new crossword puzzles only in the print edition. To subscribe, click here."

I don't know if you have it in any of your lists, but another good note.

kwanjul

« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2019, 02:11:49 PM »
Seriously?? Well that sure sucks. Who's got the time in 2019 to do crosswords only in print? I was hoping that more publishers would be making their content available on phones and tablets. Sadly, it seems to be moving in the wrong direction

paradog

« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2019, 01:17:44 PM »
Aren't crosswords submitted as PDF files? I can understand why the providers might not want the extra effort to create .jpz and .puz files, but emailing PDFs costs next to nothing.

Glenn9999

« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2019, 09:41:03 PM »
Aren't crosswords submitted as PDF files? I can understand why the providers might not want the extra effort to create .jpz and .puz files, but emailing PDFs costs next to nothing.

Seriously?? Well that sure sucks. Who's got the time in 2019 to do crosswords only in print? I was hoping that more publishers would be making their content available on phones and tablets. Sadly, it seems to be moving in the wrong direction

These publishers would have to speak themselves as to the reasons they're doing this.  But I can make what I feel is a pretty good guess.  A lot of online content has a concern based on storage and distribution.  If it goes far enough, they have a threat of losing their copyright/control over their content.  So more or less, any view that the content might be costing them opportunities at money (a lot of for-pay content providers believe that people seeing content for free are people not buying the publication that should) will cause them to either severely limit the content (like offering a 7-14 day window online) or pull the content all together. 

For example, the New York Times sells puzzle books, so having their content freely available online would cramp their ability to do that.   They want to play online though, hence the subscription model.

I can sorta get why the Boston Globe might pull the Crooked Crosswords since there's money involved in the subscription, but I completely don't understand CHE's decision, especially since their crosswords are drawing a lot of people outside of their intended readership that probably won't plunk down $99.95 a year for the print publication.  It's a pure fantasy if they think people will do that just to get the crossword.

Overall, I get there's costs involved in paying constructors, along with other costs to get the crosswords in people's hands.  But what I don't get is people getting overly greedy past that.

Glenn9999

« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2019, 02:50:47 PM »
"After December 21, 2018, The Chronicle will publish new crossword puzzles only in the print edition. To subscribe, click here."

And I notice they're allowing publication through a third-party now, which makes the original decision even more dumb.

paradog

« Reply #7 on: June 28, 2019, 08:02:05 PM »
CHE appears to be back. The .puz is dated June 21,2019. The Chronicle website itself doesn't have a link. I wonder what's going on.

Glenn9999

« Reply #8 on: June 28, 2019, 11:04:30 PM »
CHE appears to be back. The .puz is dated June 21,2019. The Chronicle website itself doesn't have a link. I wonder what's going on.

As I noted in the comment above yours, a third-party assumed publication of the CHE online, as I'm sure you know since you found the latest puzzle.  Given the initial decision was made by CHE at the start of their winter break, the publication of the next CHE puzzle was right on schedule and carried by the third-party.  As I also explained above, given the decision CHE made to cease online publication of their puzzle, it's pretty stupid on the face of it that they would go ahead and allow a third-party to publish it anyway as it makes the initial decision to cease publication moot and pretty silly on the face of it to boot.
« Last Edit: June 28, 2019, 11:06:17 PM by Glenn9999 »