CRUCIVERB.COM

User

Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.

Forgot your password?

Navigate

Resources

Donations

You can help support this site by making a small donation using either a PayPal account:

or with a major credit card such as:

Click here for details.

Author Topic: Finding items to fit a theme  (Read 6672 times)

jadbreen

Finding items to fit a theme
« on: May 10, 2023, 09:50:45 AM »
Does anyone use coding software, e.g. Python, and write scripts to find theme entries?  I've sometimes come up with a theme idea and have what I think are one or two good entries, but then struggle to come up with a third and/or fourth.  (Maybe that's a hint that the theme isn't that great...)  I'm wondering if learning Python might be of use.

MartinLove

Re: Finding items to fit a theme
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2023, 07:44:06 AM »
Does anyone use coding software, e.g. Python, and write scripts to find theme entries?  I've sometimes come up with a theme idea and have what I think are one or two good entries, but then try this fat burner for women struggle to come up with a third and/or fourth.  (Maybe that's a hint that the theme isn't that great...)  I'm wondering if learning Python might be of use.

yeah you are right learning Python is useful. Since it's relatively easy to learn, Python has been adopted by many non-programmers such as accountants and scientists, for a variety of everyday tasks, like organizing finances.
« Last Edit: May 25, 2023, 07:21:35 AM by MartinLove »

Glenn9999

• Common Solver, New Constructor
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2023, 10:10:19 PM »
Does anyone use coding software, e.g. Python, and write scripts to find theme entries?  I've sometimes come up with a theme idea and have what I think are one or two good entries, but then struggle to come up with a third and/or fourth.  (Maybe that's a hint that the theme isn't that great...)  I'm wondering if learning Python might be of use.

It would help if you wanted to find very specific things to parse through on a word list (e.g. long phrases that contain all the vowels in order).  Other than that, if you're looking for something that would just pattern match (e.g. two word phrase that contains a kind of bird inside of it that would be in circles on the final grid), there's several sites and processors you can use that are already out there.  Just depends on where your needs stand with respect to your ideas.

jadbreen

« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2023, 09:56:45 AM »
Glenn9999, could you share the sites and processors you're thinking of?  Are you referring, for example, to sites like OneLook?

Margi

« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2023, 02:45:25 PM »
OneLook and Google are my go-to's for working with themes. That being said, it is definitely the hardest part of puzzle construction...