CRUCIVERB.COM

User

Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.

Forgot your password?

Navigate

Resources

Donations

You can help support this site by making a small donation using either a PayPal account:

or with a major credit card such as:

Click here for details.

Author Topic: unix geek question  (Read 19311 times)

joon pahk

unix geek question
« on: October 17, 2008, 09:48:00 AM »
kevin (or anybody else who might know about these things),

i'm trying to write a script that will download a week's worth of sun puzzles at a time (actually an update of alex boisvert's script that used to do the same thing back when the puzzles were on nysun.com), but i can't seem to get it working. do you know if the initiated download works with curl? i'm trying the following command:

Code: [Select]
curl -b cookies.txt -d op=get -d date=081015 -o sun081015.puz http://www.cruciverb.com/sun.php
and getting no love. (-b feeds in a cookie file, -d passes form data, and -o specifies the output filename.)

admin

• Administrator
Re: unix geek question
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2008, 10:01:52 AM »
The sun.php script checks to see if you're logged in, then checks to see if you're a Sun subscriber. You won't get any love working with a script that attempts to bypass the login process.

Alex Boisvert

« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2008, 02:33:12 PM »
Joon --

This site has a tutorial that might be helpful:
http://scriptasy.com/php_11/tutorial-curl-login_44.html

I don't know anything about PHP but it looks like the type of thing you'd need.  There's probably a way to modify it to create an executable program for Mac/Unix.  If you come up with anything let me know.  I'll look into it myself.

Alex Boisvert

« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2008, 03:35:47 PM »
By the way, Kevin, if we do come up with a way to access the Sun puzzle using a script (that would first log us in, of course) would that be allowed under the terms of service of this website?  I don't want to waste my time trying to come up with something only to find I can't use it.

Thanks.