CRUCIVERB.COM

User

Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.

Forgot your password?

Navigate

Resources

Donations

You can help support this site by making a small donation using either a PayPal account:

or with a major credit card such as:

Click here for details.

Author Topic: Searching and Consructing Acrostics  (Read 8436 times)

kathylowden@yahoo.com

Searching and Consructing Acrostics
« on: October 29, 2023, 11:41:04 AM »
I would like to try my hand at constructing an acrostic puzzle.   Does anyone know if is there any way to search old New York Times acrostics to determine that a particular author and quote has not been used before?  I use  Xwordinfo’s Clue and Answer Finder to spare me from constructing crossword puzzles with themes that have already been used – is there anything similar for acrostics?

Can anyone recommend any good software for constructing acrostics?  Alex Boisvert has a great youtube video showing his software, but when I try to use the program it links to, it doesn’t look or work like in the video.  An Australian man has something called “Crossword Express” that purports to have an acrostics component, but no matter how many times I download it, I can’t get it to open.  (Can you guess that I’m in my sixties?)

Any advice anyone can give would be most appreciated.

mmcbs

Re: Searching and Consructing Acrostics
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2023, 11:48:53 AM »
I'd suggest you try one of the Facebook groups that has a broader audience. Maybe "Puzzle Lovers" or the like. This site is solely dedicated to American style crosswords. But if you've googled "acrostic construction" and found nothing that strongly suggests such a thing doesn't exist.
Mark McClain
Salem, Virginia, USA
https://crosswordsbymark.wordpress.com/