CRUCIVERB.COM

User

Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.

Forgot your password?

Navigate

Resources

Donations

You can help support this site by making a small donation using either a PayPal account:

or with a major credit card such as:

Click here for details.

Author Topic: The Value of Old Crossword Puzzle Books  (Read 16645 times)

Glenn9999

• Common Solver, New Constructor
The Value of Old Crossword Puzzle Books
« on: June 10, 2018, 04:01:46 PM »
I have four crossword puzzle books that are older and unfilled in.  What I'm seeing on Amazon is making me wonder about whether I should think about preserving their "like new" nature.   For instance, an Amazon seller has a new copy of a Rich Norris USA Today puzzle book listed for $1,651.38.  And Patrick Berry's old crossword construction book is listed by an Amazon seller as new for $161.76.  And looking at the used selection (no guarantee they haven't been written in), they yield similar prices.

Obviously sellers can put up things for whatever price they like, so given these are unique sources it's hard to tell what I have exactly.  Is there any representative value for keeping old crossword puzzle books of certain types fitting with the mainstream outlets like New York Times, USA Today, etc that don't have the crosswords filled in?  If so, is there any way to determine a reasonable value of these books in the range of what people might actually pay for them so I might decide whether I need to transcribe them if I want to do the puzzles in them so I don't end up ruining the value in them for being written in?
« Last Edit: June 11, 2018, 12:11:16 AM by Glenn9999 »

mmcbs

Re: The Value of Old Crossword Puzzle Books
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2018, 09:11:54 PM »
I wouldn't put much credence in those Amazon prices. I think they may be driven by algorithms based on how scarce a book it. A better source might be eBay where you can view transactions that actually sold to see if there were any old crossword books (completed items option). You might also try posting a question on the Cruciverb-L email list or Facebook's "Puzzle People" group. I noticed on Amazon that the book you mentioned is available in spiral-bound version for $9.95. I might also mention that my out of print book "Unplugged Crosswords" appears on Amazon for $1,252. I'd send you a copy for ten bucks if you'd like to have one ;)
Mark McClain
Salem, Virginia, USA
https://crosswordsbymark.wordpress.com/

Glenn9999

• Common Solver, New Constructor
Re: The Value of Old Crossword Puzzle Books
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2018, 12:10:20 AM »
A better source might be eBay

It is, and I think it answered most of my questions.  While it's nowhere near Amazon's numbers, the numbers are still high enough on ebay "sold" items to give me pause on writing in these books.  While it's kind of a chore to copy/transcribe them (both so I can avoid writing in the books and get something I can see - crossword books are annoying in a lot of ways like that), I'll probably have to.  Especially if I really want to do the puzzles therein.  Thanks.

Other than Will Shortz, who shows his collection off (see Real Sports HBO), is it common enough in the crossword community for people to collect puzzle books?  Or is that a more unique example?