Forum > General Discussion

Designing Grids

(1/3) > >>

JLU:
I starting creating puzzles one month ago.  I use Crossword Compiler and use the grid library.  I want to design my own grids, but I just don't "get it".  I've searched the Internet high and low and have yet to find instructions that are helpful to me.  Any suggestions?

SJS:
What aspect of grid creation is giving you trouble?  Is it understanding the rules (the symmetry requirements, etc.) or is it strategies for making sure your puzzle is fillable with good words?

thebitterend:
If you look to the left under "Resources" you will see the sub-topic "Sage Advice". Read these. Nancy Salomon has some very good tips and suggestions on puzzle construction. The other expert's advice is very relevant to constructing as well. Other than that, the best way to learn is by studying puzzles and learning the good old-fashioned hard way; by doing it.

VB:
I agree with the above, but I also think that if you can find someone who has done it a bit, sitting down with him/her and working through it could be very helpful, especially if you have a themed puzzle, for which your choice of grid is probably somewhat restricted by the theme entries. I have not been at it that long, and I am already much better at seeing where there will be trouble and thinking about how to set up the grid. I still paint myself into a corner more often than I'd like, but I usually see it coming. I think that it's a bit like chess - the more practice you have, the farther ahead you can anticipate trouble.

JLU:
Thanks for the helpful responses.  I had read Nancy Solomons articles but was hopelessly confused.  I sent her an e-mail and as soon as I pressed "send", it hit me.  I now understand the symmetry required for three or four theme entries.  Nancy responded to me and gave me additional tips.  She's great.

Now that I understand the symmetry, I have another question.  How many of you use the grid library and how many always design their own grids?

Thanks again.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version