Forum > General Discussion

Designing Grids

<< < (2/3) > >>

SJS:
I find grid libraries helpful for visualizing what's possible.  For example, if you have a 13-letter theme entry that has to go in the middle, that's hard to work with.  I sometimes use the grid library at the very initial stage.  Maybe I have a pun theme and I generate 8 or 9 puns of various lengths.  If I see lots of grids work with some lengths and not others, it can help me decide which ones to use.

Often I'll even start with a grid from the library, knowing I may shift a few blocks around while I'm filling.

thebitterend:
I design my own grids as I fill them. I can't seem to create an arbitrary grid and then fill it. I have to create the grid as I fill. I have posted a puzzle in the posting area. Check it out.

Todd G:
I've always designed my own grids (in fact, I'm not entirely sure how to use a prefab grid).  I've certainly had difficulties sometimes getting a grid to work, but almost always found a way to make it work.  And I've created some pretty weird grids.

Practice definitely helps...but a seasoned constructor (like Nancy) can help you get there faster.  Also, books like Patrick Berry's Crossword Puzzle Challenges for Dummies offer some good tips and examples.

Good luck!

—Todd

JLU:
Thanks to all for your advise.  This is addicting, fun, but most of all, challenging.  If it were easy, I'd have quite weeks ago!  LOL.  I think I'm in it for the long haul.

JLU:
SGS -

you wrote  "What aspect of grid creation is giving you trouble?  Is it understanding the rules (the symmetry requirements, etc.) "

This is a big part of it.  I have hundreds of notes all over the place about symmetry requirements.  Is there a cheatsheet anywhere?

Janice

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version