CRUCIVERB.COM

User

Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.

Forgot your password?

Navigate

Resources

Donations

You can help support this site by making a small donation using either a PayPal account:

or with a major credit card such as:

Click here for details.

Author Topic: repeated words in phrases  (Read 5599 times)

quescaisje

repeated words in phrases
« on: January 17, 2012, 09:04:11 PM »
Hello, I'm close to finishing an unthemed puzzle, and just realized I have two multi-word solutions that contain the word "on." The first is a 15-letter phrase: "On a scale of I to IO;" the second is a partial phrase: "On Not..." (Clue: Woolf's "__ Knowing Greek.") The worst part is that the two "on's" intersect at the "n!" I intended to submit to the NYT, but I have a feeling it will be rejected on these grounds. Any thoughts, advice, or cold hard facts appreciated. Thanks! Bill

XMAAS

Re: repeated words in phrases
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2012, 10:23:54 PM »
Repeating small word like ON is usually not a problem. Even if they intersect (which is undesirable), the puzzle may still be accepted if the editor likes the rest of the puzzle.

However, the 15-letter phrase ON A SCALE OF I to IO, in my opinion, will likely be a deal-breaker for this puzzle. It would be fine for a themed puzzle that uses I's and O's as numbers and letters in the theme entries, but in a regular themeless it's pretty much a no-no. This is because the I's and the O function as numbers in one direction (and I'm assuming) letters in the other.

Roman numerals don't have this problem, since they are always letters. Therefore they can be a number in an Across and a letter in a Down.

-MAS

randwool

« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2012, 11:32:48 PM »
Speaking of Roman numerals, it would be fun to see "On a scale of I to X".

quescaisje

« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2012, 11:35:15 PM »
Thanks much for the advice!  ---Bill