CRUCIVERB.COM

User

Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.

Forgot your password?

Navigate

Resources

Donations

You can help support this site by making a small donation using either a PayPal account:

or with a major credit card such as:

Click here for details.

Author Topic: Question about a theme  (Read 5816 times)

BradleyRobbins

Question about a theme
« on: December 05, 2011, 04:57:01 PM »
The first puzzle I created used a 'definition theme' where all the theme entries are definitions of the same word.  The clues are just the word in all caps.  I have seen puzzles of this type in the past, but not terribly often.  My questions are as follows:
1. Is there a name for this type of puzzle?
2. Are they good candidates for sale?

I have a little grid work to do to get it up to snuff, but don't want to put in the time if they are not worth much.

Thanks

ebirnholz

Re: Question about a theme
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2011, 10:05:19 AM »
1. I think that kind of puzzle is just what you called it -- a Definitions puzzle.  The description of a Definitions puzzle from the Theme Types page seems to match your description.

2. It probably all depends on how fresh and lively your theme entries are and how good the rest of the grid is.  I don't think any theme idea is necessarily an automatic rejection, but there are a handful of themes that are likely not worth considering because they're either too simple (i.e. themes that use colors like red, yellow, blue, and green) or the publisher has made clear that they're trying to avoid using them (i.e. I once received a NYT rejection e-mail from Paula Gamache that said that Will Shortz doesn't run many puzzles using quotations as a theme).

For what it's worth, the NYT recently published a puzzle of a similar type that you're hoping to do, using the word "Bolt" in the clues as the theme unifier.

BradleyRobbins

Re: Question about a theme
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2011, 11:58:59 AM »
Thanks!  I must be blind, I have been reading the sage advice, but failed to see the Theme Types link.  I hope I am not so blind when filling in my grids.  :P