CRUCIVERB.COM

User

Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.

Forgot your password?

Navigate

Resources

Donations

You can help support this site by making a small donation using either a PayPal account:

or with a major credit card such as:

Click here for details.

Author Topic: Two important (to me) questions from a newbie.  (Read 6307 times)

BradleyRobbins

Two important (to me) questions from a newbie.
« on: December 05, 2011, 05:05:34 PM »
I see that most (if not all) publishers require that a submitted puzzle not be published anywhere prior (in print or electronically).  If I post a puzzle for review on this site, does that count as 'publishing' the puzzle?  Also, if I post a puzzle for review on this site, what are the odds of thievery?  I don't want to sound paranoid, but I don't want to lose my ideas,  but would love to knock heads with other constructors and learn the ropes.  Hopefully one day, I can answer some of these greenhorn questions!  :o

Thanks

ebirnholz

Re: Two important (to me) questions from a newbie.
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2011, 10:38:38 AM »
Nancy Salomon, a constructing veteran, warned me in an e-mail earlier this year that "if you post your puzzle at cruciverb.com, most editors consider it published."  Having said that, a Cruciverb site administrator wrote the following in February 2009:

Will Shortz told me that puzzles discussed on the cruciverb-l discussion list would not be considered "previously published". I beleive [sic] most editors would feel the same way. I have set the Post a Puzzle forum to be open to members only. Guests cannot view. I would therefore think that the same logic would apply.

There's obviously conflicting information on this, so I'd say if you're looking to send a puzzle in for publication, don't post it just to be safe.

That doesn't mean you shouldn't discuss puzzle ideas here -- there are lots of constructors, both amateur and veterans, who can give you some really neat ideas to spice up your grid.  You can probably still submit a puzzle if, say, you posted a draft version here, but then made significant changes to it later (i.e. changed your theme entries, or moved the theme entries to another part of the grid, etc).  But if what Nancy says is true, then you're probably better off not posting it.  She's been around the block on this quite a bit, and she wrote a lot of what you'll see on the Sage Advice page, so I'd listen to her.

There are, however, ways around this problem.  If you're looking to get feedback on your puzzle before you submit it, here's what I'd do:

1. Try beta-testing your puzzle with people you know personally -- friends, family, etc.  If they're frequent solvers, all the better.  E-mail it to them, or have them print it out and solve it on their own.
2. Get in touch with a professional constructor (not a publisher) and have him or her look over it.  You'll get an honest evaluation of your puzzle and likely won't have to worry about "thievery."

BradleyRobbins

Re: Two important (to me) questions from a newbie.
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2011, 11:57:02 AM »
Thank you very much that is great information.  I am just a beginner but hopefully can begin selling puzzles soon!