CRUCIVERB.COM

User

Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.

Forgot your password?

Navigate

Resources

Donations

You can help support this site by making a small donation using either a PayPal account:

or with a major credit card such as:

Click here for details.

Author Topic: LAT Wed. 11/2 David. W. Cromer  (Read 5139 times)

magus

LAT Wed. 11/2 David. W. Cromer
« on: November 02, 2011, 09:29:16 AM »
/saks/

:)
Start to sing?   ESS
Date with an MD   APPT
Couple of Couples puns:
Couples with clubs   FRED [a frightening concept]
Couples’s org.   PGA [not sure you need the final -s]

??? Sax   WOODWINDINABAND  [it's all brass (with a reed) so I wonder where the wood went]

:-[ The covert theme took me some time to find; I kept looking at the answers and forgot about the clues.

RATING:   ;D ;D Three grins = Loved it; Two grins = Enjoyed it; One grin = A bit bland for my taste; One teardrop = No fun

DrewE

Re: LAT Wed. 11/2 David. W. Cromer
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2011, 07:24:04 PM »
??? Sax   WOODWINDINABAND  [it's all brass (with a reed) so I wonder where the wood went]

Saxes are woodwinds because of the reed; or, possibly more accurately, because they're wind instruments that don't have the cup-shaped mouthpiece of a brass instrument, and thus are not played by buzzing the lips.  Harmonicas—but not glass harmonicas, which are entirely different and unrelated—are likewise classified as woodwinds, when classified at all, despite a complete lack of wood. 

Saxophone fingering is also far more like that of other woodwind instruments than that of common brass instruments.

magus

Re: LAT Wed. 11/2 David. W. Cromer
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2011, 09:11:53 AM »
Thanks, Drew.

That saxes are reeds I get.  But where's the wood?  Even my ancient harmonica has wood to separate the notes.  Why, if the term wind is a must (though I don't know why it would be) is the class not just called winds

Of course, this is of moment to cruciverbalists and "hot air," so to speak, to horn blowers.