CRUCIVERB.COM

User

Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.

Forgot your password?

Navigate

Resources

Donations

You can help support this site by making a small donation using either a PayPal account:

or with a major credit card such as:

Click here for details.

Author Topic: 23x23  (Read 6943 times)

lifeof

23x23
« on: October 16, 2011, 09:26:36 PM »
Hello, 

I've been out of the loop for a little while but am trying to return to my efforts at puzzle construction.  The NY Times publication specs posted here no longer mention 23x23 puzzles--does anyone know if they're not accepting that size puzzle anymore?  (And if not, do you know if any other outlets are?)

Thank you for your help!

ebirnholz

Re: 23x23
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2011, 01:29:28 AM »
lifeof:

This recent blog post from Rex Parker answers that question.

UPDATE: Some clarifying info from Mr. Shortz himself:

To clear up the confusion regarding 23x crosswords ...

Kevin McCann misquoted me on Cruciverb. I never banned them. I simply discouraged them, because they're difficult for me to use in the downsized Sunday Times Magazine.

A couple years ago the Sunday Magazine had its trim size significantly reduced. I can no longer print a 23x and KenKen and the KenKen answers from the previous week on a single page. The KenKen answers have to go elsewhere in the Magazine, for which I need to get approval, which is a pain and an uncertainty. So I just discourage 23s.

But for a 23x (or any odd-size puzzle) I really like, I'll still take it. I'll find a way to use it.

Note that a 22x21 isn't really affected by the above rule. By shortening the clues a little, I managed to fit everything into the usual space.

lifeof

Re: 23x23
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2011, 12:03:55 PM »
Thanks so much for your help, ebirnholz!